Baptism Cross

My cousin had a baptism for their daughter, and I needed a gift. It’s a good thing I have a laser! But what to make. I remembered awhile back, some bad influences did some really nice work with crushed Mother of Pearl inlays.

But what wood should I use. :thinking:
Oh, I have that nice Sapele plank. :grinning:
I can’t cut that with a Glowforge. :pensive:
But I have a friend with a router table I can borrow! :smiley:

After some Inkscape designing(with some help from The Noun Project after I realized I can’t draw a dove, even with the help of a computer (Dove Icon - Free PNG & SVG 165472 - Noun Project)), and some trial and error, I had a cross that came out beautifully.

I will make a post in Beyond the Manual with my design and fabrication process.

Edit: Here is the other post! How I made a Baptism Cross

27 Likes

Nice gift!

2 Likes

Oooooo, very nice! I tried inlay with crushed turquoise once but it ended up looking like #&@%. Looking forward to your descriptions.

2 Likes

Great job there Joe! I Love that MOP for inlay. Did you use the UV resin? It sure beats the 5 minute work time of epoxy.

1 Like

Beautiful! Amazing the detail you can get with that fill! :grinning:

1 Like

Nice that turned out great. The MOP is really fun to work with. And @PrintToLaser is right the UV resin is the way to go. It makes is way easier than epoxy or super glue.

2 Likes

I was amazed at the at the leisure of the work time. I tis unlimited. You decide when. :sunglasses:

1 Like

You and @ianauch are some of the bad influences I was talking about. Now I have to look into UV resin’s.

4 Likes

:grin: Another benefit is it’s fast!

1 Like

Great work, Joe. Another great technique to add to the glowforge book of recipes

1 Like