Bay Area Maker Faire 2017: On site report from MakForge

I don’t get a purple button crash but i do get upload errors daily. I figured out that was only the first things I try to upload when I get home. I think it’s got to be a session timeout because when I log out and back in, it works. I leave my laptop logged in to the app on the machine screen after the last print. When I come back 16 hours later I appear to still be logged in. It’s reading the forge’s status correctly and lets me get back to the catalog screen but then it gives me an error whenever I try to upload again. Log out & back in and everything is good,

You’d think I’d just log out at the end of a session or remember to do that when I come back but I think that must be the part of my brain that I got dropped on as a kid :wink: It always takes at least two attempts before I do the dope slap.

Operator error. But the GFUI should either log you out or give a better error message.

6 Likes

I’d be happy with a PRU and maybe additional waiting, but I’d also be happy with my production unit. Whichever, so long as I get a laser, eh?

7 Likes

Check out how we put the Glowforge to bed. Chained the gantry and tubes to the fence.

17 Likes

Have you bugged it? This sounds like something @dan and company would want to know about for an expected /unexpected behavior.

Wondered what the insanely long lines were about as I was leaving. But didn’t wonder enough to ASK anyone… And I had even seen all of the cooking trays fully loaded a few hours before…

Hit up an AMAZING Indian/Chinese place. The samosas had some kind of salty tasting but pepper looking seasoning sprinkled on them… was so good.

4 Likes

Oh, hadn’t thought about that. A secure the device feature… I’ll suggest that.

2 Likes

Make with laser…make…MAAAAAAKKE !

3 Likes

Fascinating, because the same thing seems to be true of another big cloud product, the Spark/Particle Core/Photon/etc. When you fire up the command line after a hiatus it tells you you’re still logged in and lets you do some things, but not others. Figured that out lots of troubleshooting later. (That should probably be a thing for any cloud-based app – if there’s a problem, start by logging out and logging back in)

2 Likes

One giant piece of tape and a lot of small, but strong, fingers.

1 Like

Yeah. I don’t have an expectation that it should necessarily keep my session active if I’m not using it all day but a word of warning in the User Manual and a better error message (like “Session expired, please log back in.”) would seem to be warranted.

2 Likes

The suggestion is valid. FYI: My laptop is never logged out of the app unless I need to. Occasionally, not often, I’ll get an error after waking up the computer that requires me to log off or at least close the app before it will work properly. Probably related to S/W updates.

1 Like

IT HAS BEEN SO AWESOME MEETING ALL OF YOU! Heading over for Day 1 (or 2? what day is it?!) soon.

This was my best attempt of an “empty” booth photo of the GF booth - this was a few minutes before the doors offically opened for Friday@MakerFaire yesterday. I’ll try to get some actual empty ones today!

34 Likes

Always good when you have a line BEFORE folks are coming in; that’s some strong customer interest! Glad the show is going awesomely!

7 Likes

small fingers: the wax on, wax off component of having a laser is weeding. “So, you want to print something on the Glowforge? First, you have to sit here and weed these Scrabble tiles, then you will know what it is like to have a laser.”

17 Likes

I’m just buying stock in Gorilla Tape…and Duck.

3 Likes

Not a bad idea, let me see 10,000 + Glowforges a roll of tape each every couple months, it could add up.:grin:

1 Like

Brilliant idea! Way to leverage usage of all those people in line!

I feel like Charlie; I’m waiting on a Golden Ticket, I’m on my way to the Makers Fair and I might get a glimpse of Willy Wonka (or Wanka if u prefer) himself :upside_down:

11 Likes

I think you just called me a Wanka

23 Likes

Wig, top hat, purple coat, and tie…might see the resemblance. To be fair, you do run a magical wonderland.

7 Likes