Bay Area Maker Faire 2017: On site report from MakForge

Yep, pretty much. I fully expect you to do a somersault and pop up an extravagant bow when you see a middle-aged lady with a rabbit tattoo on her arm LOL :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

Oh, it’s so good to know I can still laugh. Can’t breathe…

12 Likes

Wakna/Wonka, it’s all the same to some folks :joy: I goes I should go change that, but…naw…

3 Likes

Is this a special ‘escutcheon’ or …?

8 Likes

Contact lens for the button ?

1 Like

Need for revised escutcheon patterns. Chuckle! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now all I can hear is someone calling Dan a Wanka with an Australian accent.

5 Likes

Coincidence…“Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” is playing right now on WGN. :slight_smile:
(Veruca wants a squirrel.)

4 Likes

Waiting in line to make my first cut with a GF at the Makers Fair. And I apologized to Dan for callin’ him a wanka :smirk:

19 Likes

34 Likes

Nifty photoshop trick for that: http://lifehacker.com/5549135/take-a-people-free-photo-in-a-crowded-place

Not that you will be able to get proper shots easily during the weekend crowds. I should have thought to get one while you all were setting up Friday morning and it really was empty.

Do note, in some cases the tape for weeding makes it take a lot longer. Use tape for small bits, and just peel (slowly and forcefully) for large bits.[quote=“kittski, post:90, topic:7794, full:true”]

[/quote]

That… is kinda disturbing. But also awesome. Was this at the main booth, or one of the PRUs? (Haven’t ventured in yet today, avoiding the line at entrance and getting lunch first)

13 Likes

Cool figure and nice engraving! I’m guessing you used the atrace method.

At the main booth just a bit after opening. The design is one of my pieces for the Day of the Dead series I’ve done

3 Likes

Yes, it was Auto traced. I thought it was a bit much to bring my own SVG file and ask them to upload it LOL. Looks pretty good for a trace and I imagine awesome straight from the file.

2 Likes

Here’s an up-close view. Pretty damn nice for being traced in scaled down

18 Likes

Did you get a cut one and one just engraved, or is the second picture the cut one dropped into the main material? They look great!

It’s all the same cut and engrave just put back together. You guys are going to love this GF thing :slight_smile:

7 Likes

My broadband connection likes to drop out and reconnect occasionally and that tends to make a mess of some web apps that are logged in. For example Blogger throws a wobbler if I am in the middle of an edit it refuses to save new changes. I have to copy all the text, cancel the edit, edit again and paste all the text back.

1 Like

I’m holding out for another update, so we can get them into the highlights…

Did @dan and @Shell do the demonstration today or is that tomorrow?

1 Like

Here is the almost complete scrabble set. Still needs the locking arrows.

Great day at the fair. Spotty connection limited what I was able to do. Lots of pencils engraved and fidget spinners. Did help a fellow maker who needed a bunch of cardboard wheels cut. Really cool to meet all the folks who stopped by! Lots of Glowforgers not active on the forum but waiting nevertheless. Lots of great questions and observations. Would be a while different experience if I could rely on connections. Met Dan lovely family. Everyone is super excited! Cool to meet more of the Glowforge team. @ned stopped by and checked out the Scrabble set. His ruby program did the basic outline of the letters. So that was my first and only ruby effort and it works so well.

40 Likes