Beta Project - Dice Tower v3!

Thanks!

Oh, the snow is all gone now (at least for me). Holding in the high 30s/ low 40s mostly.

2 Likes

Wow! That is super fun! Love the castle design!

3 Likes

Seriously love the tower! Amazing Project :grinning:

3 Likes

That tower is awesome. We play games that occasionally require dice. I could see using something like this to roll for all sorts of games.

3 Likes

So, not being a very mathy person, but very interested in the hinge idea for a dice tower, how does one go about figuring out the length that the hinge needs to be in order to reach the front of the tower? I’m assuming there’s a basic math equation that I no longer remember…

1 Like

Good question. If someone has not already addressed it before I can later tonight (and they probably will) I’ll show you the answer.

2πr for a complete circle. πr for a semi-circle. (And I usually find that a tiny bit extra is nice for keeping the results from stretching too much. Purely subjective.) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Precisely. The little extra helps account for the kerf of the beam and the voids it leaves in the wood. If you do the exact correct length that you calculate per the radius of the bend you want, then your finished arc will end up a bit too short.

1 Like

@Jules answer is probably close enough. My answer will deal with K factor and such…

1 Like

What’s a K factor? (I just kind of rough it out - if there’s a better way, i’d like to learn.) :grinning:

1 Like

Kerf I would assume.

1 Like

I need to be home to give this, actually a little complicated. Look later tonight. Like I said probably fine as you figure it but if we get into other things that are more critical…

1 Like

No rush! :slightly_smiling_face:

No actually gets into material science some.

1 Like

As promised:

2 Likes

is this available to download? I’d love to make one for my son…

Epic indeed. Love it.

Just as a first, it’s generally asked that no one ask for the plans to things shown.

However, to that end, here are a number of towers for the rolling of a die that are readily available:

That third one has the requirement that you post a pic of the copy you print. And you have to customized it by printing a design on it somewhere. :wink:

Magnifying glass and a quick “dice tower” lead to a plethora of ideas.

3 Likes

Thanks Wes. Excuse the faux pas on my etiquette… Don’t come here as frequently as I probably ought to, and am very new to “the forge”. I had seen the other threads - probably just missed the messages in them that contained the download files! thanks again.

2 Likes

This is excellent! I’ve been brain storming a dice tower that uses a living hinge and this is a great example of how that can be successful. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like