Block printing and embroidery templates

I continued my modular woodblock printing (which I showed you here Modular woodblock printing), but this time I’m printing on fabric. I included dots that serve as embroidery guides on the prints to make it easier to keep my stitching symmetric. I also use the glow forge to make clear acrylic templates that let me put dots with a pencil onto the white parts of the fabric.

I just finished the first stitched print.

Here’s the acrylic templates along with a bunch of practice embroidery.

And here are the woodblocks.

Here are some more of the patterns I printed, but haven’t stitched yet.

If I am going to make larger patterns, I’m going to need to make more blocks. I’ve started…

Thanks for looking!

55 Likes

I love it when different mediums are combined.

Using the Glowforge to make exact templates or jigs is a great application. I’ve done that frequently in woodworking.

17 Likes

What a great use of the Glowforge to make the jigs for your embroidery patterns. Very nice stitchery too! Thanks for sharing.

14 Likes

These turned out amazing

9 Likes

Yeah these are great, you’re really getting good at these projects.

I can’t recall if I asked before in one of your other threads, but what kind of wood are you using? Are there any tricky parts to the process?

12 Likes

Loving the mixed media! Are you going to combine the squares into a larger final project (eg. quilt)? Or are they standalones? Great work - and such an organized workspace!

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing the process to make this beautiful fabric artwork. The acrylic templates are visually interesting on their own, and your stitching is superb.

8 Likes

So lovely! Thanks for sharing all the detail. It really helps build up the community.

7 Likes

This is beautiful! I’m also interested in knowing how the squares will be used.

8 Likes

This is gorgeous!!

8 Likes

Really wonderful! So tempting!

8 Likes

Can’t wait to see the final product! Looking fantastic!

6 Likes

Truly beyond spectacular! The fabric stamping with hand stitching is gorgeous!

7 Likes

Wow! I am so impressed with your work!

7 Likes

So wonderfully creative!

5 Likes

My favorite use. I love making tools.

6 Likes

Thank you. I have loaned the process for sure. I’m using baltic birch. The thread is called perle cotton, though I realize that’s not what you meant by “thread.”

The tricky part was to decide the patterns both for the blocks and for the stitching. The decisions have to be made upfront, before manufacturing the templates and the blocks and I did an awful lot of trial and error and second guessing. Now that I made all the decisions, the print making and stitching goes quite quickly. I expect to stitch another one over the next couple of days.

6 Likes

I’m going to frame them, I think. I’ve been tempted to make some kind of a rack to display them together, but I like them framed. Here’s it now:

19 Likes

Thank you all for your nice comments!

3 Likes

I am impressed by the art. I am more impressed by your using a tool to make another tool to make art.

Shopbot used to have little one day seminars usually hosted by some universities art or industrial design department. I went to a couple of them and out of the entire day my biggest takeaway was “if this machine (what ever machine) won’t make the thing, make a thing that will.”

10 Likes