Block printing/rubber stamps

I’ve made rubber stamps on the :glowforge: before, but in this project, I made a modular set of stamps with magnetic backs so that I could place them face up for block printing on paper and fabric.

The solid geometric shapes, I simply cut out, but the more complicated designs I both engraved and cut to get the final stamp. This is one of three pans I now have. There are geometric shapes, and potted plants.

IMG_7032

Here are a few of the prints on paper that I made with these.

I embroidered on the designs I printed on fabric. I like embroidery that is precisely lined up, so I made some plastic tools on the :glowforge: for marking my fabric to match the shapes and designs in the stamps.

Here are my finished pieces, a couple of them sporting engraved frames.

88 Likes

Well, this is just wonderful! It’s such an innovative way to do your stamping, and conserving of material besides. I really like your cool designs!

10 Likes

Totally cool designs! And then made more amazing by embroidering them! I really like the plants and pots especially :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Those are just spectacular. That’s a lot of work but the final product was well worth it!

6 Likes

Your designs are beautifully expressed with the stamps and embroidery. These photos really brightened my morning. Thank you.

4 Likes

These are beautiful. I did some block printing in a college art class. Now I need to scratch that itch.

5 Likes

Wow! Super cool. The embroidery is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing this, what a cool technique.

4 Likes

Oh my…these are truly wonderful…both embroidered and not. You have a very obvious talent. Thank you for showing us.

3 Likes

How are you doing the actual block printing? By hand or do you have a device like a BigShot or similar? The prints look wonderful.

^ awesome.

5 Likes

Very well done! Makes me feel good just to look at it.

3 Likes

Those block prints are incredible!!

3 Likes

Thank you. I roll the ink onto the blocks with a brayer, and then align them. Then I place the paper or fabric face down, and rub the back with a wooden spoon to make the print. I do have an old Cuttle bug die cutter I though of trying to make into a press, but the wooden spoon works pretty well, and I can make much bigger things that way. I want to take a print making class so I can get my hands on one of those large presses, though!

12 Likes

I love the specialized tool known as a wooden spoon!

4 Likes

Amazing work! I love the colors and patterns! Your block printing has such a nice aesthetic. Great stuff!

2 Likes

Fantastic process

2 Likes

Incredible! The ink is quite opaque - is there a particular brand, or style of ink, that you’re fond of?

2 Likes

Some lovely work! Love the combination with the embroidery.

1 Like

So neat to see the different ways people use the GF to create art! These are great- can’t wait to see more of your work!

1 Like

Well oh my good glory! That embroidery is stunning! I love the rubber stamp idea, but I never would have thought to put it all together! Mind blown!

1 Like

I LOVE that! The last pic is terrific! What a great idea! I have yet to make stamps (I used to do rubber stamping all the time, had over a thousand dollars worth) but this inspires me to get some made!

1 Like