Blown away by the things I can make!

This year we drew names and decided it was a handmade Christmas. Challenge accepted! I drew my son’s name and decided to try my hand at a baritone ukulele (because it is tuned the same as the bottom 4 strings of a guitar and is the largest). I made 3 ukuleles in total before I began his just to make sure I could do it. I kicked his up a notch by making it an acoustic/electric resonator ukulele and I am in awe of how this thing sounds! My son was beyond excited and very impressed that I made this. The body is completely made using the Glowforge. :slight_smile:

111 Likes

That is beautiful. You have some serious talent there.

8 Likes

Thank you! It was definitely a labor of love.

4 Likes

Well it sure looks like it was worth every minute of it.

4 Likes

Wow, that was a serious project, nice job!

5 Likes

Just “a notch,” eh? Ha! This is fantastic!!

7 Likes

Stunning. How did you do the sides?

5 Likes

Thank you!

The sides are done using the living hinge and then I wrapped a veneer around it.

36 Likes

Haha! It was quite the notch. I wasn’t sure if I was going to pull it off! Thanks!

4 Likes

Impressive! What a wonderful labor of love.

4 Likes

That’s quite the project! :star_struck:
What did you use for the fingerboard? Laser-cut the fret slots?

2 Likes

Thanks! I cheated with the neck. I purchased a ready made neck from mgbguitars.com. It saved me a lot of time/headache because that is so beyond my abilities right now. The electrical components and resonator cone was purchased there as well.

4 Likes

Great work, and a very special gift!

3 Likes

I’m blown away by the things you can make as well. Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Killer job! My kid would love this!

3 Likes

This looks seriously awesome. Great work! I wish we could hear it being played as well.

6 Likes

Absolutely beautiful. You could sell these easily on the Hawaiian market, especially if you used koa. Amazing. And command bigetabucks! Did you wrap the inside and outside of the hinge? What did the electronics I say cost, if I may ask?

5 Likes

A treasured gift from a father to a son.

I have a vision the back has an engraving that depicts Hawaiian life in the 1950s. :wink: :wink:

2 Likes

That is absolutely fantastic. How about a video now of him playing it?

1 Like