Bookmark

That’s awesome! I love the personalized touch.
I have one question, when you’re ready for the Glowforge to start a new print, and you’re about to touch the glowing button, do you yell, “Serenity NOW!”?

10 Likes

Turned out great! I’m sure Hannah will love it!

3 Likes

Thanks so much! I must say, I’m pretty proud of this one. I really liked learning some new Illustrator moves. I always think (and say) “Sure I can!” and then the 20x12 completely empty artboard sits in front of me and I kinda freeze up. :slight_smile:

I LOVE personalizing. It’s quite possibly my favorite thing about owning a laser.

Ha! While I get the reference, of course, our Serenity is actually referring to Serenity Valley.

Technically our 'forge’s full name is Serenity Valley Forge, making both a Firefly reference as well as the Valley Forge reference since we love Firefly, and live 20 minutes from Valley Forge. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Oh, I think I remember you saying that. Very cool name!

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more Tom, the personalized gifts means so much more, and having that ability at my disposal is - fantastic!

3 Likes

Such a great idea!

1 Like

Mal_Shiny

4 Likes

For the record, we’re such geeks we named our new kitten River (because she’s clearly hyper-intelligent, very pretty, but really nuts!). I 'forged her nametag with anodized aluminum. Put her name on the front (Firefly font) and a picture of Serenity on the back. She’s got the best nametag I’ve ever seen. :wink: (I never posted it because it’s been around her neck the whole time. Maybe I’ll take it off one day and show it for fun.)

8 Likes

So does your kitten have a safe-word that when you say it she collapses?? :nerd_face:

2 Likes

She’s completely ridiculous all… the… time. She runs at the speed of sound everywhere. The other day she ran through my son’s room, leaping onto his bed (for no known reason), then leaped off again and ran into my room. It was as if she used the bed like a banked curve. Yesterday I was walking down the stairs, she came from behind me, ran by me, and decided the last half a flight of steps weren’t necessary, and just leaped down them and then continued running at blurring speeds. Like a puppy, she gets so happy to see one of us that she runs over, and just flops down at our feet and rolls to her back. Also like a puppy, she plays fetch all the time! This isn’t the 1st cat we’ve had that plays fetch, but it’s been a while. We throw her toy mouse, she runs and grabs it, trots back with it and drops it in our lap for another go. She’s got two non-related older brothers who want nothing to do with her. I don’t know why. She’s always nicely playful with them.

Anyway… That’s River.

Additional: River is a really fun name. She gets called Riverdale, Riverrun, Riverdog (my personal choice), Riverside… you name it.

10 Likes

Wash_WackyFun

5 Likes

Very creative and excellent implementation! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Can’t Stop the Signal!!

2 Likes

Excellent gift for a clarinet player–she’ll be thrilled!

1 Like

@Tom_A what did you use for masking on the basswood?

1 Like

Good old fashioned beige masking tape. That’s what i use on everything. Works PERFECTLY. Every time.

2 Likes

I learned some stuff from your project too! Thanks for crowd-sourcing your help :slight_smile:

The final product looks great.

1 Like

GREAT idea. Just love it!

1 Like

Awesome! I’m trying to do a page marker bookmark like this also but can’t figure out the settings to use. What did you use?
Also, since then, how has the bookmark held up? Is the wood flexible enough without breaking?

Welcome to the community!

Settings typically go with materials rather than with designs. The forum rules restrict settings to the Beyond the Manual category. So, your best bet for locating specific suggestions is to use the search feature on the name of the material plus “settings” and restrict the search to the Beyond the Manual category. I found this that way:

That said, you would really be well served by learning to test materials for settings. There is a lot of variability even with things that are supposedly the same. A lot of us are using this approach:

This place has a bunch of stuff designed for things like this project:

2 Likes