Bottle opener

Both Inkscape and PaintNet are free (as are quite a few others) but that’ll get you both vector (cuts/flat engraves) and raster (3D engraves) editing capability!

2 Likes

@kittski did you put a finish on the opener itself?

1 Like

Yes, I think I just used acrylic spray finish on them.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks! Where do you get adhesive back veneer?

proofgrade veneer is adhesive backed.

but almost any wood supplier that sells veneer will sell both paper backed and adhesive backed.

4 Likes

I’m also about to start doing some bottle openers and did a search and found this video
Hope this helps someone, this is not my video I found it on YouTube. Thought it was a good comparison.

Happy Lasering!!!
Bernie

5 Likes

I’m curious as to how the Proofgrade adhesive backed veneer holds up under use? Is it reliable in that it resists coming off? Also, if some of you are cutting/using wood that doesn’t have the PSA backing, do you prefer contact cement or epoxy to affix the wood to stainless steel?

I stuck some on the back of my iPad 3 years ago…it’s not going anywhere, ever. That stuff STICKS, man! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

we built architectural models 10-15 years ago, big ones, like 36" x 60" and with 30 layers of 3M adhesive veneer to create the site elevation and buildings attached in layers of 1/2" acrylic on top, and then hung them on a wall sideways and even with all that weight, they’re still hanging around and not peeling. now, a few of the trees we glued on with elmers have fallen off…

5 Likes

Cool! Thank you so much!! :smiley: Do you mind sharing what type of wood it is that you used?

The designer states it is cedar plank grilling wood in a post on Jan’19. Others discussed using veneer. Both work.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s pretty wood!