Box-o-matic Laser Cut boxes of any size

The link on the first post still works. It’s an app for a phone/iPad, I opened that link in safari, which took me to their website. The download link there took me to the apple App Store and I stopped there.

I’m not sure if they have versions for other platforms, I did t read the website. I’m sure they spell it out?

2 Likes

Thanks so much. I will try with safari.

Yeah it’s possible that they look at what browser you’re using and change the download link as appropriate.

1 Like

Hi. So I need to make a box for a gift, I have made a box using this app once before and it was a temp project and used scrap and did not care so much for quality. This box is a special gift and so want to make it is a nice as possible. I designed a test box using .006 kerf and it fits nice and tight. Only issue is the edges as you can see stick out a bit and I would prefer flush is possible. Any thoughts on how to correct this?

Thank you

1 Like

Your notch depth should match the material thickness. For some really nice fitting and easy to design boxes you might check out Cuttle: Box Generators in Cuttle

6 Likes

Thank you and I will check out that site. Do I need to adjust the top notch in illustrator after I download the box or do I do that somehow in box generator?

1 Like

I am no expert, but the box generator should automatically adjust for material thickness and make the tabs and slots the proper size.

3 Likes

Did you measure your material with calipers and use that measurement in your box generator? Most materials are not the thickness they claim - the material size is “nominal” and almost always different. Even within a batch of materials, it’s not uncommon to find different thicknesses. (Even within a sheet - cast acrylic can vary 10% across a sheet.)

Or you can just let it cut long and then sand the sides down to take the nubs down flat. This has the advantage of taking off the brown burn.

4 Likes

@mrtoad Cuttle founder here. I’m happy to help with Cuttle’s box generators or any others. (Thanks for the callout @dklgood!)

I’m pretty sure your issue is that you typed in a material thickness that’s larger than your actual material thickness.

Essentially the dimension shown above is determined by the material thickness. This makes sense — the fingers are intended to be “long” enough to match up with the adjoining face, so that dimension needs to be the material thickness.

I’d definitely recommend digital calipers if you don’t already have some, for measuring material thickness (they’re pretty cheap on Amazon — there’s a link in the YouTube video below).

You shouldn’t need to manually modify your SVG in Illustrator or another editor. It would be much simpler to regenerate a new SVG with the correct material thickness setting.

@federico has a really good video on everything you need to know about laser cut boxes, which I recommend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJTFSrj9S5I

We have a bunch of box templates on Cuttle, from basic closed or open boxes to hinged lids, etc. We’re constantly adding more, so if there’s another type of box you’d like to see please let me know :slight_smile:

5 Likes

keep in mind, it can be a benefit for your fingers to have them extend a little bit. that allows you to sand them and remove the char on the ends. it really depends on what “look” you want for the box. do you want those fingers to really stand out? then they should be flush. if you want them to blend in a little, it’s actually good to have them stick out a tiny bit so you can sand them down smooth and not see the zipper pattern so prominently.

7 Likes

Thank you! How does the personal account work? It mentions 5 projects and 10 downloads. I am not sure I understand.

Thank you!

2 Likes

@mrtoad Cuttle is a fully featured vector editor (like Illustrator or Inkscape). You can store up to 5 of your own projects on a free account. Projects can be either be started from blank or by making a copy (“remix”) of a project shared by the community (like on our Explore or Templates pages).

A download is any time you download an SVG file (or PDF, PNG, or File > Print). Free accounts get 10 downloads per month.

Note you can use a template, customize it, and download without needing to create a new project. You only need to create a project if you want to further edit the design in the Cuttle editor, for example: adding some text to a box, cutting some holes on a side, etc.

If you’re just making a few boxes using the free box templates, the free account should suffice! Pro is for people making lots of designs or if you want access to the premium templates (e.g. Hinged Lid Box).

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the detailed description. I did try the free account and made a box for a gift. It worked well! I was going to change the size and make another box to slide out of the first box like a drawer. Is that considered a second project as it will be smaller? Also in a case like that how much wiggle room would you suggest so the inner box will slide nicely. I am using 1/4 inch Columbia Forest maple purebond plywood from Home Depot. Thank you!

1 Like

@mrtoad every time you click “Download SVG” that is a download (free accounts get 10 / month). Every time you click “Edit in Cuttle” or “New Project” that is a project, but you can also delete them from your dashboard (free accounts can store 5 projects).

Glad you got a good result on your first box!

Sliding the box out of another sounds great! You can use the Open Box template. Keep in mind the opening for that one is the top, so you’ll need to plan accordingly (swap some dimensions) if you want to slide the inner box out like a drawer (from the front or side, rather than the top).

Good question about how much wiggle room to allow between the inner box’s outer dimensions and the outer box’s inner dimensions!

I have not done this myself (though now I want to try!). I have heard a rule of thumb is 1/32 (.03in) to 1/16 (.06in) of wiggle room on each side. Since this is on the small side for a drawer, I’d lean to the smaller value. So my first try would be .04in on each side (0.08in of wiggle room total).

For example, if your outer dimension of the outer box was 6in and your material thickness were 0.25in (measure this to be sure!) and we’re allowing 0.04in of wiggle room on each side, then the corresponding outer dimension of the inner box should be:

6 - (0.25 * 2) - (0.04 * 2) = 5.42

If you have scrap or cheaper material, I’d encourage you to make a test one. There are plenty of places to make a silly math mistake and you may decide you want the fit to be a bit tighter or looser.

You could also try asking on the Cuttle Discord chat room. Might be someone there who has already done this.

2 Likes

Awesome thank you!

So for the free version I can download 10 a month and just keep 5 stored on the site. That would work for me as of now but that hinged box is nice in the paid version. If I wanted that design I could join for a month and then cancel and that can stay on my account? It looked like it but wanted to verify and if that is the case, am I able to edit it’s size or it has to stay same size?

For drawer the outer box I did use your open box and did it on it’s side like you were suggesting. It is smaller than say a drawer in furniture but not tiny. It is 10 x9x10.75 with the 10.75 being the opening. Not sure how to test the inside without using the actual drawer going in as I do not have scrap that size. I could do cardboard and see. I would need to tape the outside box on the outside and do the inside box on inside so I don’t have issue with tape closing the gaps. Not sure if that would be a good test or not.

Thank you again!

2 Likes