I decided to finally try out making my Fractal puzzle.
(Free design here Fractal Letter Puzzle - T)
I did make some modifications. Specifically, I wanted a cover for it, so the pieces don’t fall out in transit. I had some small (1/8" x 1/16") neodymium magnets laying around, so I decided to use those.
Now some experimentation. I wanted to press fit them in. So I made a circle in Inkscape, and tried out a bunch of settings and measured the depth.
One interesting thing I found. I kept increasing the power, but I wasn’t getting much increase in depth. I didn’t change the LPI up to that point, because I didn’t think it would have much of an effect. I was wrong. I increased the LPI and had a significant increase in depth! I had a setting that was plenty deep enough (actually too deep, but I didn’t realize that until after), so onto the puzzle!.
Here is the puzzle! I have to add some finishing touches and glue it together. The magnets fit perfectly. I pressed them in, no glue at all! I will post more pictures of the final product later.
Edit 1: I got to the front cover engraving. One thing I learned, those larger letters that appear at the begining of chapters are called an initial. This made google searching easier. Here it is! I think it turned out great.
It’s done! I glued the base and the puzzle frame together and now it is complete! Here it is all put together.
Pivoted on the bottom magnet.
Oh yea, I etched the cover of my friends latest comic to the inside of the lid.
It came out amazing!