Burnt o-ring

I pulled the lens out to clean it because it was not cutting through proofgrade material like it should and its nearing my first 30 hours, and I find this…

Two things, how do I get a replacement o-ring and, how did this happen?

The beam must have struck it at the edge instead of the middle, so perhaps the mirror is not in the right position or the head has come off its mounting, or the carriage off the rail.

3 Likes

Sorry for the misfortune. :grimacing:
There looks to be a tiny burn mark on the lens below center there.
That burn is a good lesson for us on why clean optics are so important. The infrared energy is just light - until it touches something, then it’s heat. In that case the debris cause the energy to be deposited instead of transmitted.
Not saying you did anything wrong, but Iwould guess the mirror in the head wasn’t seated completely as @palmercr suggested. Just a guess.
I know I will pay closer attention from now on to insure the shoulder the mirror seats on is clean, and the handle on the mirror reflects correct positioning.

Luckily If the lens is unusable the replacement cost is like $45.

1 Like

The lens is fine (lucky me)

After a brief wipe

So I just need an o-ring
and yes I would clean it more if I was going to put it back in and use it.

1 Like

Support will likely send you new lens assembly (or give you store credit to grab one yourself).

For those finding this post after their warranty has expired, it is just a standard square cross-section o-ring held in place by a snap ring. Here’s a sketch of the lens assembly for reference:

10 Likes

As long as the lens still sits flat in the holder I don’t think it matters that a bit of the o-ring is missing. Its function is just to hold the lens in place without damaging it.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry for the late reply. Thanks so much for letting us know about this and for sharing that picture.

This photo indicates that we need to send you a new lens. We’ll do that promptly, and you can follow the cleaning instructions to see how to take out the existing lens and pop in the new one. You’ll receive tracking information as soon as the new lens is shipped.

Finally, if you look at your purchase history, it will show an additional printer lens at the current purchase price. Don’t worry, you will not be charged for this part and it won’t affect your ability to make future purchases.

Again, I’m so sorry for the trouble. Once you’ve installed the new lens, could you please print the Gift of Good Measure on a sheet of Proofgrade Draftboard, and let us know the results? Based on how that print turns out, we’ll follow up with any next steps for troubleshooting, if needed.

1 Like

It’s been a little while since I’ve heard back from you. I hope that’s because everything worked out! If not, just let me know and we’ll get it solved.