As you might be aware, I was attempting to make a Cajon completely within a Glowforge and it didn’t quite work out as planned.
While each of the edges of the cajon could fit within the cutting area of the GlowForge, and the entire side could fit within the space inside the Glowforge, they couldn’t all fit in the cutting area at once. After several hours of testing, I was unable to get the precision of the corners close enough to make me comfortable to actually attempt to use the GF to cut my pieces out. BUT, I did use the laser to make a template that I used to mark up all the edges.
The template made one of the most tedious parts of the build MUCH easier. Here are some of the pieces all marked up.
Since the sides could fit within the GF, I was able to use it to add some designs to the sides. These were taken after four of the five sides were all cut out and fitted together.
Then came one of my favorite parts, after the glueup (didn’t have enough clamps but made it work), and the sanding in order to make it all smooth, I got to apply stain. It was tricky around the designs to not get anything into the design itself, but SO worth it in the end.
Then finally I got to cut out the front face and of course, I couldn’t leave that blank, so I put my band’s name on the front of it.
All in all, a good project and it sounds great as well! The band will get to see it on Tuesday, so I’m looking forward to their reactions as they see that they have a new instrument in time for our next run at the Maryland Renaissance Festival this year.