Calibrating... Calibrating... Calibrating

haha Ill try to remember this next time :slightly_smiling_face:

Ok, so after waiting about 1 1/2 hours I turned the glowforge back on and it began Calibrating again:

1. I began the 3rd print of the day. (prints successfully)
  2. Loaded the 4th print for the day (successfully- after letting it cool for a little while)
  3. Finished cutting 4th print.
  4. inserted new material for cutting
  5. Returned to the app to load 5th design– app says calibrating but again no movement… (also the app has not updated the bed image - it still shows the previous material cut-prior to it being laser cut- which is normally what it does when it is in fact not “calibrating”)
  6. left it for about 30 min…
  7. Turn off glowforge (wait 15 seconds) Reboot Glowforge.
  8. App says calibrating (no head movement - still old image of print bed)
  9. Wait another 30 min…

How good is your WiFi signal? The only time I’ve had something like that happen (unless I’d done something stupid like locking it up with conflicting commands from multiple sources) was when I was having the signal get dropped. Sometimes rebooting the router helped, or if the signal is sketchy, you can try moving the router closer to the Glowforge or getting a signal booster.

I use a AT&T dedicated hotspot that works really well. The router is about 3-4ft from the glowforge (Ive read that having it any closer sometimes works against you). With that being said, the router did loose signal for a moment this morning- but I reset it and the glowforge. I figure as long as the Glowforge gets turned on while the router is functioning and sending strong wifi- the glowforge should calibrate?

Its been trying to calibrate for a little over an hour since the last cut.

Also in terms of Wifi- I had the router setup further from the Glowforge at my last house and it never had any issue… :thinking:

I don’t know, I’ve always kind of assumed that the “Stuck in Calibrating” occurs when part of the signal is dropped or interrupted, and the commands get mixed somewhere.

For whatever causes it, I’ve usually had to reboot everything (router, computer, turn off machine for a few), and turn off the app before I turn the machine back on. That usually jogs whatever it is loose and lets you run through the startup calibration before opening the app on the computer.

For what it’s worth, i find that turning on the machine first and letting it finish the startup calibration before opening the app keeps most of those hangups from happening. (Unless I do something stupid.) But I give it ten minutes or so with the machine on before I start sending it commands.

Thanks Jules, Ill try closing down the app and rebooting the glowforge to see if that does anything. Ive reset my router as well. Crossing fingers

Some of the AT&T hotspots I’ve owned over the years will block traffic periodically. I mostly noticed on iOS devices when I would get the login option on connecting to the WiFI but it would say success and connected. This would happen seemingly randomly. But this could block the required time sensitive packets. leading to continuous calibration, I’m guessing.

Might I ask which model of hotspot you have?

Its the AT&T ZTE Mobley.

not one of the ones I’ve personally had a problem with. sorry.

How were you able to tell if it was blocking the packets?

I tried rebooting router, glowforge and shutting down the app but, alas, still in calibration.

Bummer. Last resort is to turn it off, go have dinner, and try again later. (Which you’ve already figured out…doesn’t usually take more than about 45 minutes or so though…usually.)

When I connected via my Mac or iOS I was connected tho the Operating system log into this wifi screen but it was an immediate success, so all I had to do was close the window or screen and I could go on with whatever internet I needed. when it was really bad I’d see that behavior several times a day.

Wise advice. I think a break is in order. Ill shut it down and check back in in another hour or so. Ill keep you all updated!

The time I was correct that it was a mechanical issue the process for fixing it was laid out. For quite a while mine was loose sometimes working and sometimes not, but since setting this properly I have not had that issue,

I’m so sorry you’re still having trouble.

Can you walk through the process of removing and reinserting the lens in the head in our cleaning guide:
https://glowforge.com/support/topic/cleaning-service-and-moving/cleaning#things-that-need-wiping

(Be sure to confirm the lens orientation according to the pictures and instructions.)

Please let us know if that makes any difference.

Hi pip, I can confirm that this has been done and that the lens is in the correct orientation. I actually did this before posting anything as I was hoping it would help (mentioned in the first post). Unfortunately my glowforge still gets hung up frequently. :confused:

My thought was also possibly the lens as well from your description.

Calibration has a few different routines. An initial calibration when it turns on, which calibrates the location of the head (it goes under the camera in the middle, etc). And then a lens calibration which occurs at power on and after each job (or after a job is cancelled).

I’m not sure if Support has looked at your logs… which is maybe why they went that direction with the lens reseating process.

But, if you’re curious about whether it’s a WiFi/hotspot issue with the ATT set up, you could possibly try hotspotting off of your mobile device and see if that changes anything. (You would need to hold the button for about 10 seconds after it boots up and then redo the setup process to connect to your phone)

Thanks so much for your patience. Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace or repair this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.