Can we switch to metric please

Are you saying Canada isn’t the other country that makes up the world? I personally don’t have a problem with Canadians.

1 Like

And for some reason Miss Universe never seems to come from anywhere but Earth :slight_smile:

11 Likes

EXCELLENT point. It stinks of bigotry!

I think that’s what they call future proofing.

6 Likes

Most certainly. Think of some of the hotties that Jim Kirk hooked up with on distant worlds :wink:

2 Likes

You don’t know that for sure. I’ve met a fair number of “people” that I’d swear weren’t from our planet.

4 Likes

You should be fine with Carpenter fractions then, they are all just powers of two. When working in inches I tend to use it as my only unit. “I need this to be 73.125 inches”.

1 Like

Oh, whine, whine. The U.S. tried to convert in the 70s. The U.K. was just as stupid until then. The conversion went away because Congress made the act voluntary and “Joe Public” complained. If I have to deal with two systems, you do too. Do something useful and vote.

6 Likes

Ha, I still remember the last time I had the opportunity to vote for a candidate that ran on the platform of “metric conversion”,… said no one ever.

5 Likes

Peter Piper picked a metric unit of pickled peppers. Hmm. Doesn’t sound quite right! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s obvious that that right there was the reason it got nixed. :smile:

4 Likes

Not that anyone uses pecks anymore. And I somewhat doubt that anyone has ever actually sold pickled peppers by the peck.

2 Likes

You pick pickled peppers by the peck. You peddle pickled peppers by the pound.

14 Likes

Maybe not PICKLED peppers, but go to any good fruit stand in an agricultural area and those cute little wood baskets, some rectangular and some cylindrical, are pecks. And you will find all sorts of things in them that are really good to eat!

Cute aren’t they!!! Make great kitchen decorations.

3 Likes

I’ve never actually seen anyone price produce by the peck (preferring pounds instead) aside from a few special cases. Even when goods are displayed in those baskets they’re plopped onto scales to be measured in pounds for pricing. At least here in southern California.

I think the only time I’ve ever seen anything actually sold by the peck was apples in New England, where I even saw some “half peck” bags… which is completely ridiculous, as everyone knows (Don’t they?) that half of a peck is a dry gallon. Note that a dry gallon is not to be confused with the liquid gallon, which is completely different of course!

Even when goods are sold as bushels (1 bushel = 2 kennings = 4 pecks = 8 dry gallons) they actually measure the weight in pounds (or kg), with a separate bushel to pound conversion factor maintained for each individual product (with different conversions used in different jurisdictions just to be extra confusing).

6 Likes

Posted this once before, but it’s interesting, so here we go:

When it comes to being able to mak adjustments on the fly, english standard makes a tiny bit of sense.

That being said, metric, all the way. I have a hard time understanding why the GF wasn’t metric through and through, or at least bilingual.

4 Likes

Holy crap. My mom used to say she loved us “a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck” (I mean, she still loves us. Probably. But she used to say that specific phrase). And I only just now realized a bushel and peck were measurements.

I dont know what I thought it was before. But definitely not measurements.

10 Likes

I understand your frustration – but it is a sad comparison. The Dodo didn’t die out due to being obsolete – it was slaughtered due to the unthinking vicious cruelty of man…:cry:

IIRC the system is actually built around metric and the Imperial conversion is added later by the software. (@palmercr is much more on top of this than I)

If correct the positive is that the implimentation of Metric should be a formality when International Units ship.

4 Likes

Yes under the hood it is all metric. It is just the GFUI that presents it in Imperial and other obfuscated units. It would seem trivial to add a metric option but I doubt it will be done.

The Dodo died out because it evolved to live without predators and then predators arrived, so it did become obsolete in that sense. All the flightless birds in NZ get decimated by trivial predators like rats.

1 Like