Can we switch to metric please

Yes it can get quite complicated, there are apparently trees still living that are structurally extinct because the only way it can propagate is for the seed to go through the intestine of a dodo.

More pressing is that cacao is pollinated by a fly that propagates in mud wallows carved out by wild javelina. Lose the wild pigs and you lose the chocolate.

Getting back to the op, there was the old trick question of which weighed more: an ounce of gold or an ounce of feathers. As one was measured in troy ounces and the other in the other system. It added dimension to selling gold jewelry

I am still running to a tape measure to translate mm as it is still hard to visualize

5 Likes

And that line probably originated in a 1950 broadway musical:

2 Likes

Well… That feels weird. Lol.

2 Likes

I’m baffled by the choice to not include metric as an option.
As a confused kid from the 70’s with two forms of measure to choose from, it just didn’t take for me. We need to try it here again. I switched to metric for all my engineering stuff. Woodworking, and larger metal operations are still in the kings measure.

5 Likes

I use the Google.

6 Likes

Where does one get a pickled pepper plant?

4 Likes

Behind bars
:wink:

1 Like

I think they grow wild around distilleries.

3 Likes

I’m picturing individual jars of vinegar carefully placed in the fields under the ripening peppers.

1 Like

You pick the peppers by the peck prior to pickling, then peddle the pickled peppers per pound. Purchasing pickled peppers is a pretty pricey pursuit, particularly preceding the planting period.

16 Likes

The word vinegar actually means vine jar. Farmers used to put jars under the vines of various plants, so that the ripened fruits/vegetables would fall directly into the jars for pickling.

Ok I think I’m done now. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Y’all don’t quit now…you’re on a roll! :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
(With mustard and relish)

2 Likes

And here I thought the conversation was beginning to get a bit dill.

1 Like

Thought I heard this from a pickled pepper plant

No, it comes from the French vinaigre meaning sour (aigre) wine (vin), which in turn comes from the Latin vinum acrum (also meaning sour wine).

Oh wait. You were joking. Nevermind.

4 Likes

I just type “in mm”

I was pleased as punch then I found out the Glowforge user interface was in decimal inches. I’m totally fine with there being a metric option, but let users decide what they want to work in.

Although, I use metric when 3D printing, I’m more comfortable with US Customary Units. Also all my really nice mechanical metrology hardware use decimal inches. I have several low cost digital calipers that do both, but they all needed to be lapped and deburred, and they eat LR44s like the darn things are candy.

And to those of you who berate the US Customary System let me remind you that Pi, e, the gravitational constant, Planck’s constant, Avogadro’s number, the speed of light, and countless other natural constants aren’t base ten. Making units of mass and distance base 10 doesn’t make engineering or scientific calculation easier, it just makes them different.

Some will say fractions are clumsy and don’t make sense. That’s true, and that’s why all precision engineering done with the US Customary System uses decimal inches.

Units of measurement are a language, just because you can’t speak it or have a hard time understanding it doesn’t mean it’s wrong.

3 Likes

I agree that one can work in any measurement system, and either not do much calculation with it, or figure out how to make it work for them. (Kinda like certain features of the Glowforge presently.) And it’s easy to add too much value judgement to the fact that some systems are easier to use than others.

But this statement of yours is ain’t quite right:

The biggest issue in imperial is the use of unlike units for measuring the same thing. For example, for length having to convert between inches, feet, yards, and miles is cumbersome and error prone.

I cook in metric because it’s just plain easier to do calculations and scaling of recipes.

For example, I bake bread. For a given a recipe the amount of dough I make can vary by a factor of five. Let’s say one unit of recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of salt. To make 5 units I would need 10 tablespoons. Well that’s a pain to measure out, but how does that scale to a larger unit, say a liquid ounce so I only have to measure once? Or if I use 2 tablespoons of salt for the 5 unit recipe where’s my 2/5 tablespoon measure for doing one unit? How hard is it to do the calculations and find the right measuring devices if I want to do 2.5 units?

Or if I have a recipe for 6 people and want to scale it for 4 people, metric is easier to do the calculations and measure out if the recipe is in grams instead of a smattering of unlike units.

Extrapolating the scale issue a bit, the base recipe can just be based on percentages instead of exact weights - I have cookbooks that do that. And it’s much easier to do that in metric than imperial.

(And by the way, since in the metric system mass is defined in terms of distance it’s easy for me to translate between volume and weight for lots of liquids I cook with. For water, the volume of a gram of water is 1 cubic centimeter - so one liter of water is one kilogram. In imperial I would have to remember the saying ‘A pint’s a pound the world around’, and even then that’s just an approximation. Making a 6% brine is easier to calculate and measure and scale in metric than in imperial.)

Or take the issue of land measurement. The lot size for a house can be given in square feet or acres. If I’m looking at one house that is on 15,000 sq. ft., and one on 1/3 of an acre which is larger? Why should I even have to think about doing a conversion between unlike units, even before realizing that I have no clue how many square feet are in an acre?

Or let’s say that a closed path in the park is 750 feet. How many miles do I go if I go around the path 10 times? Easier and more accurate to do the conversion in metric from meters to kilometers.

This post is longer than I expected, so I’ll just stop here.

7 Likes

That is ironic considering in the UK we used to say “A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter”.

I’m a fan of SI units, but do you have any idea how hard it would be to switch over entirely? The Mars orbiter mishap is a drop in the bucket compared to that.

1 Like