Cedar grilling planks?

I was at Costco yesterday, and they had a pack of cedar grilling planks for sale for $9. There were, I think, 8 pieces in the pack. Each was about 6" by 12", about 1/4" thick. I can’t find them online, so I can’t post a link.

Any thought on if this would be a good material to work with? I was thinking it might be good to make some puzzles.

I noticed that ocooch hardwoods sells 6" wide by 24" long cedar sheets for about $4.50.
http://ocoochhardwoods.com/scroll_saw_lumber.php#RedCedar

The quality of the wood is vastly different from ocooch’s stuff. But the price is ok.

Has anyone tried cutting or engraving cedar yet?

Thanks for any info.

17 Likes

Yup. Works great and smells great.

17 Likes

That is one of my favorite smells… Fresh cut Cedar. :smile:

4 Likes

I’ve seen them at Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace Hardware – any place that carries BBQ/grilling supplies are likely to have them this time of year.

2 Likes
5 Likes

So, is cutting cedar the glowforge’s way of compensating us for lasing leather?

8 Likes

Works like a charm. Power needed is going to be a lot less than you initially expect.

4 Likes

Can you use shim/shingle stock for the test pieces?

1 Like

Yes but put two in so they form a level surface - each one is tapered but if you place them so the opposing ends are together they are generally level across. If you just toss one in, one end is going to be closer to the lens than the other and the results won’t be the same as a real flat & level surface.

2 Likes

I used grilling planks for this:

4 Likes

You’re more than welcome to come down here and cut any cedars you want off of my property. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

can take all the horrid things out of central Texas before the winter pollen season and I’ll cheer.

3 Likes

disclaimer: This is reviving an old thread, but it helped me so it’s worth a bump…

Headed over to score some after a 3D engrave search and reading these posts.
Great stuff and really a nice, cheap solution if you are thinking about experimenting with deep engraving. (save the expensive stuff for when it counts).

Lot of variation in thickness from various brands, so I advise looking at them before grabbing a handful.
I used the Hickory, worked well.

9 Likes

Glad you bumped that cause I missed it, and it’s a great idea. (Turned out fantastic with the 3D engrave too!) :grinning::+1:

1 Like