After a request from a friend to do a job for a new Eagle scout, I finally got around to testing out some CerMark.
Here’s where I got my starting info from:
A couple of notes:
- These tests were done with a Pro unit on full power, which is different than full power on a basic.
- You may notice streaks. That, I believe, has more to do with my application of the product than anything else. There were streaks in my sponge brush strokes.
- This is CerMark 6060, which is made for steel, stainless steel, brass, bronze and aluminum. It’s supposed to be an upgraded version of the 6000 stuff, which lists “uncoated metals” and nothing more specific. If you have version 6000, your results may vary, but this could be a starting point. Edit: I saw more specific information for 6000 that lists: Aircraft Grade Aluminum, Brass, Bronze, Chrome, Pewter, Stainless Steel, Titanium, Tool Steel. Also, the list for 6060 includes “polished aluminum and chrome products.”
- For this knife, it worked well to stick a flat magnet to the bottom of the blade and then slap the other side of the magnet to the honeycomb.
And finally, the results:
The video says it’s always done at 100%, which is why I used full power. The sideways numbers are the different speeds and I’ve also listed the LPIs. Not sure how good you can tell in the photo, but 340 LPI, 325 speed, and full power is what I’m eyeballing. I chose that on account of the legibility of “of,” as that seemed to be the biggest problem spot.
I’ll certainly take requests for more test as I have a ton of this “U.S.” cutlery.