Check your hoses for holes occasionally

That moment when you’re working on plain ol draftboard but suddenly the air tastes funny and you realize there’s a hole in your vent hose. God bless tape. Anyone else had this fun happen? I have a mask on as backup most days cause I’m super asthmatic and these hoses are kind of on the fragile side but I’m glad I didn’t today cause I take care of rescue animals and while they aren’t allowed in my laser room there is one exception to the rule- my elderly boy with separation issues.

What I’m saying is: don’t forget to check your hoses periodically, kids, and be mindful of the damage fumes can do to others. Don’t take risks. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Good advice. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Insulated duct hose, protects and drops noise by a ton. Home depot carries it, you wont regret it.

5 Likes

Insulated hose?? I didn’t know this was a thing! I’ll see if I can pick one up tomorrow. Noise isn’t the worst but I wouldn’t mind a bit less of it haha.

1 Like

I posted a link to it somewhere, one sec.

1 Like

Here we go:

5 Likes

WHOA. That’s nice! Better price than I expected. I gotta go in there to pick up a few things and it looks like my local (ish, it’s northern Michigan, nothing is local) place has it. Thank you so much!

1 Like

It immediately dampens the high pitched noise, I would never go back.

I really would like to go with an external fan (which completely craters the noise), but haven’t worked up the energy to figuring out how to mount it etc.

1 Like

I’m still working on a proper thing for my hose to go through. Right now I have a slab of cardboard with a circular hole I stick in the window. It works but it could be better and something a little more winter friendly would be nice. I remove the whole thing out of the window every time I turn the GF off. I know better than to leave a hole to it for the elements. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cut a dedicated dryer vent if at all possible. It’s awesome.

1 Like

Just googled to see what that was. I did not know those things had a specific name. That helps!

1 Like

And add a blast gate as well. The you can leave it installed and just slide the gate piece to close it off when you’re not using it.

2 Likes

Do you have a picture of what a good blast gate might look like? Google gives me conflicting things for that.

I use a louvered dryer vent and have no problems with that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Z1H46

(there are others on here as well)

1 Like

Pretty sure my original hose started with holes. I replaced it immediately. We have casement windows, though, and my insert isn’t quite airtight. A year and a half later and still a work in progress!

1 Like

Don’t wait! My in-line fan just sits on the table next to the GF.

2 Likes

My issue is that I want to mount a 6" outside and can’t be bothered to work out the logistics of electricity and weatherproofness.

Why outside out of curiosity?

Quiet.

:slight_smile: