Cleanhook - Avoid Germs!

During the COVID-19 outbreak here in the US, I realized that I was still touching door handles and keypads when out for my occasional food/beverage run.

Introducing cleanhook - the only tool you need to never touch a door handle again! (Doorknobs, however, will still stymie you.) Complete with a recessed thumb rest for added muscle and a button fob for button-crushing accuracy! With a little paint or laquer, these will be ready to be sanitized and enjoyed for the months to come.

Inspired by the “Hygiene Hand” by StatGear, but since theirs is a Kickstarter and isn’t shipping yet, I made my own, better, less damaging one. On the other hand, theirs is supposed to be a stylus, too, which would be cool. Any ideas there?

Dimensions: approx. 3.5"x2", recommend 1/4" plywood.

Lessons learned: 1/8" acrylic is TOO FLIMSY. See rapid prototyping below. I can open my freezer door with this thing.

SVG: (Laid out on a 20"x12" template file)
Cleanhook Version 5

PDF:
Cleanhook Version 5.pdf (4.3 KB)

Under CC0 license - print to your heart’s content. Share and enjoy!

58 Likes

Wow just wow!!! This is absolutely fantastic. I love it. Thank you so very much for the file.

I had a thick acrylic sheet laying around and gave that a go. Seems to be pretty sturdy from testing around the house. Not sure how comparable it would be to wood but definitely easier to clean.

6 Likes

Interestingly, if you can get it to work right - the coronovirus only lasts up to 24 hours on cardboard as compared to the 4 days on wood and 2-3 days on acrylic

1 Like

Hmmm, I’m thinking this could be used to make a mold and then a metal version. Copper plate that and the virus can only last up to 4 hours or so.

3 Likes

The SVG can be run straight into a CNC plasma and it’ll cut right out of 1/8th or 1/4" stainless or aluminum. Aluminum would be good from a lightweight standpoint.

3 Likes

I think the ACTUAL best characteristic of an 1/8" metal version would be that the finger holes would potentially double as a bottle opener.

7 Likes

Very nice design!

There have been other Ideas out there also.

and this…

The virus can live on wood a long time but you can paint it with a good acrylic paint that will have a different result. I presume however that if the plywood is wet with Hand Sanitizer the results would be reversed vs acrylic

1 Like

its too short. The contactless door opener has the right idea

Another reason to have levers instead of knobs.

3 Likes

I think a GIF animation of this in action would be pretty awesome.

1 Like

That is a great idea. If we are giving them to someone “older” this might confuse them. A quick video on youtube would show them how to use the different functions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing. Waiting for my GF to arrive and I will probably be making several of these for the family as we start venturing back into the world :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks so much! This is great! I printed one on thick draft board and it worked like a charm.