Always a sucker for retro stuff I had set my mind on building a 3D model of the old Battlestar Galactica Vipers. I had one of my old toys as a reference.
Deciding to keep it simple, I used the shapes as a guideline for building my first model.
I’d cut the slots to hold the wings on too deep and the hit the front engine piece so I went back and adjusted a bit. That got me to a good fit. I also designed two more plates to give the engine area more volume.
Now that I felt I had a solid foundation to build on, I set to making some details I could etch and score into the body. I used some images from the web as well as the toy to design the details. I was able to use the camera in the Glowforge to align the etching on the other sides of the pieces as well. I like the speed as well as the clean lines of a score mark where I can use it. In the end I wound up with a mix of both etch and score patterns.
At this point I was pretty happy with the results.
But, really, my rubber band gun project had an ulterior motive. This wouldn’t be retro enough without choking hazards So, I added a bit to the underside of the model.
It’s a slot with a block that slides along it and dislodges the rubber band you can stretch from the nose to the rear. While hard to operate with my left hand while trying to record it in use, you can still see it here