Colonial Vipers full forward thrust

Always a sucker for retro stuff I had set my mind on building a 3D model of the old Battlestar Galactica Vipers. I had one of my old toys as a reference.

Deciding to keep it simple, I used the shapes as a guideline for building my first model.

I’d cut the slots to hold the wings on too deep and the hit the front engine piece so I went back and adjusted a bit. That got me to a good fit. I also designed two more plates to give the engine area more volume.

Now that I felt I had a solid foundation to build on, I set to making some details I could etch and score into the body. I used some images from the web as well as the toy to design the details. I was able to use the camera in the Glowforge to align the etching on the other sides of the pieces as well. I like the speed as well as the clean lines of a score mark where I can use it. In the end I wound up with a mix of both etch and score patterns.

At this point I was pretty happy with the results.

But, really, my rubber band gun project had an ulterior motive. This wouldn’t be retro enough without choking hazards :wink: So, I added a bit to the underside of the model.

It’s a slot with a block that slides along it and dislodges the rubber band you can stretch from the nose to the rear. While hard to operate with my left hand while trying to record it in use, you can still see it here :slight_smile:

78 Likes

The Viper has always been among my favorite ships in the sci-fi realm. Nice work! It looks awesome.

9 Likes

cool!

3 Likes

That is really fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You are just having way too much fun! It is awesome though, keep it up.

3 Likes

Really nice work.

2 Likes

Very nice idea!

2 Likes

Awesome…I like the pew pew elastic…TODO !

3 Likes

Cool. I wanted the Viper, but I got a Battlestar Galactica toy for Christmas that I don’t think was ever even in the TV show. On the bright side it had the little orange shooting darts that were later labeled a choking hazard.

4 Likes

Fascinating that @chadmart1076 and @macphee both demonstrated some pretty precise flipping parts and doing operations on the other side today.

Nice Viper. Cylons beware!

7 Likes

Okay, that’s awesome. Home run!

1 Like

Ahh, the sci-fi memories. Starbuck to the rescue!

2 Likes

Sweeet! (Great model job!) :sunglasses:

1 Like

Instant flash back to mental replaying of the episodes and story line…

Nice job on the seam lines.

1 Like

Really nice work with the score lines reflecting the “paint” and structural details of the original.

I used to love Battlestar!

1 Like

Great job! Now make a rubber band gun big enough to launch it!

1 Like
4 Likes

That’s really cool. Now I’m wondering how many of my old toys I can replicate.

2 Likes

You and me both :slight_smile: Never thought of using my lasers to do that. Now I’ve got another time sink to worry about :smile:

4 Likes

You kidding? I see just about anything and say “I bet I can laser that.” I believe when I get my 'forge I will attempt to laser anything in my path.

4 Likes