Hey helpful forum members:
I’m about 95% decided to upgrade my Basic to Pro. The upgrade price hasn’t changed since I placed my original order in early November and I’ve not seen any indication that will change (unless @dan has more info on this). Even though I’m not a multiuser makerspace and the unit will get fairly low hobby usage, there are a couple reasons I’m considering this:
–feed slot (didn’t think I’d need this but sure would be nice for leather/fabric)
–better cooling (gets pretty hot here)
And I recently thought of a new one: the Glowforge team is going to be continuing to improve the software after I have my unit. What if they come up with a killer new app that will only work with the Pro? We’ve already been given hints (if I recall correctly) that the software in the Pro will have some features not in Basic (somebody correct me if I’m wrong here).
So there you have it. The only reason I’ve not upgraded yet was because I thought I’d wait and see what the real-life experience out there was with Pro units. Like people are having trouble with their homeowners insurance for having a Class IV laser in the basement. Stuff like that.
So folks, any thoughts? Other than the risk of paying a higher upgrade price, I can’t come up with any downside to waiting. On the other hand I’m itching to complete the transaction (patience not being one of my virtues).