Considering upgrading to Pro--your thoughts?

Wishing I had the resources to upgrade. The only reason I bought a basic is because it was $6000 less than the next entry which was Epilog.

2 Likes

Me too!

I find that it makes me crazy anxious to get my unit too…must have something to do with deliberately introducing delay on my part…I ordered the Basic in the first couple of days, and would have likely gotten it before the Pros ship out. :smile:

Oh well…good things will come to those of us who wait. Chuckle!

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum @srdas. So neat that after all this time and all the delays you are going all in on the Glowforge project. I’d like to but had to get a new car after an accident and a new laptop to travel with my Glowforge, May someday.

4 Likes

Where do PRU owners stand in the queue? Will they get their keeper in the original place in the queue or will it be delayed because they have a machine already?

No clue. Don’t care if others get theirs before me as long as my Pro is received within a reasonable lunar cycle of my domestic order of purchase. Don’t get me wrong, I have plenty of projects that I can’t do without the pass thru (manual or automatic alignment). But feel free to jump in front of me.

4 Likes

Ha, I think it will be along time before I get mine. I am not expecting it this year.

No idea. We might be the last to receive our actual units.

4 Likes

Good move! I’m predicting you won’t be sorry.

You can come and play with my Pro!

2 Likes

Yup, as the others have said, nothing has been said on this. I really won’t mind being last as long as I can keep the pru until my pro is done.

4 Likes

ditto

2 Likes

I haven’t upgraded from Basic to Pro for a number of reasons:

• Not enough loose change to afford it
  • Not enough confidence my potential earning/expense ratio of buying a Pro would warrant it (I bought it more for hobby, not to run a business – although I wouldn’t complain about repaying the cost)
  • I think as novel as the [eventual] Pro features are (passthrough, pattern-match engraving long items), I don’t have a need for lasing long items. I prefer depth, not length.
1 Like

I keep waiting for the email where they ask for it back and I have to go back to using one of those machines that so many people seem to think they should have bought instead :astonished:

6 Likes

Do you think they will ask for it back before your production unit is ready? Than would be mean, why would they need it back before then?

I’d have to go back to staring intently at the material and hope it cuts itself (hey, according to quantum theory if I keep it in a box it is in superposition of being and not being cut already!)

4 Likes

Along with many other things, we don’t know. We like them so well that we tend to be paranoid about them. I really think we’ll get to keep them until they have our forever units ready.

1 Like

I expect they’ll want them for employees or for extended testing although depending on the price, if they were to offer it to us to buy (saves them return shipping :slightly_smiling_face:) I would consider buying it and donating it to my local library’s Makerspace.

2 Likes

I started with the basic. then later on upgraded to the pro before the price point changed. I had some ideas come to me and I realized the pro would do what I was thinking about doing.

I don’t even want to mention it here yet. :slight_smile:

'cause I wanne be FIRST!!! LOL

5 Likes

I to would entertain such an offer so as to have a basic for shows.

1 Like

I’ve got the pro. I haven’t had cause to use the pass-though slot yet, but I build furniture and would like to keep my options open. I bought it mainly to make Model Airplane Kits, but I’m finding that the crafty stuff is pretty cool as well. The Internet is booming with all sorts of laser plans and files. Often those files and downloads are free and can be modified to suit.

The software will continue to incrementally improve, so I think the Pro is a good investment.

Since none of us have the carbon bed anyhow, I opted out on the Carbon Bed and have the exhaust piped out the window. Highly recommend you get that exhaust outside!

Since they have some extra Pros ready to ship, I would think now is the time to plunk the money down. A 10 day wait is much better than my 2 years!

2 Likes

I don’t remember if I mentioned it, but I did end up upgrading to Pro clear back in 2016 before the price changed. I haven’t used the slot for any special projects (other that a quick demo of a long cut), but I do find it very handy for cutting long material to size. A lot of precut material comes in 12 x 24” so I just cut off the extra 4” and use it for small projects.

1 Like