Contactless Door Opener

I was attempting to teach fishing lessons. However, that works too. :laughing: :+1:

Two layers of revolution plywood with terrible first coat of paintā€¦

1 Like

Holy cow! What a great idea! I am going to make these for my family and my neighbors. Thank you!

Edit: Hmm. And maybe spray with Rust-Oleumā€™s Specialty Metallic Copper spray paint. I believe it actually has some copper in it, which would perhaps be a little anti-viral.

Completely missed it! Thanks

For only $25, you can have one tooā€¦

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/34951038/hygiene-hand-antimicrobial-brass-edc-door-opener-and-stylus

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

$25 AND a two month wait (if he makes his deadline).

1 Like

Part of me wants to machine those out and sell them for 2 bucks.

4 Likes

ShrugPlasma cut out of 3/8 brass and tumble polished It would certainly pay for the equipment and materials, and then sold on TV for the ā€œlow priceā€ of 19.99 it might be the new ā€œpet rockā€. But the sales window would not be a lot bigger.

Even if it wasnā€™t a flash in the pan, thereā€™s no real hurdle for the Chinese factories from churning them out by the millions & undercutting the price by 50% before you even got to market.

1 Like

other than another wave of COVID19. or catching up on everything they havenā€™t made for the past 3 months.

1 Like

Always true, though might be a hair slower now.

1 Like

I invented something to allow people to walk around heads down texting with their smartphones without bumping into things (or people). A hybrid hardware & software but when I looked at the barriers to replicate I figured it wasnā€™t worth my time to develop it and create the market because theyā€™d replicate it and be selling it for $9.99 before I got a decent return.

1 Like

i donā€™t doubt that. was only thinking that, if there was ever a time you might get a couple of months ahead of the curve with them, itā€™s now.

3 Likes

A short range sensor like they have on cars now? Would be useful for blind folks.

nice! Iā€™m afraid that Iā€™ll make it, have it with me and forget to use it!

Not entirely - much simpler - but I did work on something like that last year for a guy who came to our makerspace looking for someone to build his patent so he could help blind people navigate the world. Turned out he had an idea and had someone file a provisional patent application but had no actual concept how to build it or what the components might need to be or any funding or understanding that an application does not make a patent (or that the existence of a competitive commercially available product likely squelches any hope of getting said patent).

Had fun working with miniature distance tracking, GPS on a chip, range finders, etc.

1 Like

There is far too much of that. Having an idea almost anyone would think of but getting it through the patent process. I was playing with an inertial drive idea and it was a couple years of trying before someone could explain why it would not work. Several times since I have seen folks announce what I think was the same obvious concept, and promise to change the world and never be heard from again.

1 Like

How do we download the svg file for this? Best one I have seen so far!

See aboveā€¦

Thank you! These will be going to my mother and stepdad. Appreciate the sharing of the file.

finally a use for those two acrylics!

3 Likes