Continuing the discussion from Your Glowforge is getting faster

This really stuck out to me. On your plus machine, you’re going to have a heck of a time cutting anything that small out of paper without the fan blowing it away. Their newer diode machine, the Aura, does an excellent job with paper because the fan is so much less.

Also…I have no clue what this means " I want to put the little “arms” on them to keep them from just falling into the crumb tray when I lift off the wood; they need to stay attached to the master/mother board"

I do understand ‘nesting’ frames to utilize all of your material.

We’ll get you figured out in time… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So everyone knows what I’m talking about, here are a couple of pictures.

See, can’t get what I want to say out of my head to my mouth! :rofl:

4 Likes

OK…I understand, now. What thickness wood is that? And, how do you get the pieces out without tearing or making a mess of the edges of the pieces? Like that piece right above your thumb in the photo…there’s that small space where there’s no cut.

1 Like

The wood is of varying thickness, but anywhere from 1/32” up to 3/8” or so; very, very rarely 1/2”. To get items out, you just take an Xacto knife and cut the very small piece that wasn’t cut by the laser. This is how most of the miniaturists I know (& I know quite a few) laser cut their kits. The paper or cardstock is the same, you just take a sharp Xacto knife and cut the little tabs.

3 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

Well I wonder what I am doing wrong them. My glowforge pro will no longer cut proof grade material on proofgrade settings. I have to slow it way down.

1 Like

You might find this interesting…

3 Likes

Thank you! This is PERFECT and I can use if for multiple project ideas (flooring, inlay, doilies, shingles, siding, etc). I’m going to order some sample packs to try out and see which woods/grains work best for me.

Marilyn

4 Likes

Have you followed the advice in #5 here?

2 Likes

If you’ve been using it heavily you may be nearing end of life for your tube. If not, I’d guess something was being missed when you clean your lenses.
In any case, Proofgrade is literally guaranteed to work - so hopefully you’ve been in touch with Support and they’ve A) credited you for the non-working PG, and B) looked into your laser and told you what you need to do to fix it.

3 Likes

FYI: The link was dead at the time I tried. Probably site maintenance. It´s working now.

1 Like

it’s not a dead link for me.

you can get similar products here (i’ve used cards of wood a few times)

3 Likes

Weird. It works for me also. But if you search for “wood paper” there are more folks selling similar. I have a stack of samples waiting for a reason to focus there.

2 Likes

Probably under maintenance at the time. Thanks for the reference.

2 Likes

Which is why I’m going “what? what? but … OH DEAR…It’s the community derailment :railway_track:” If only there was a bell that would go off when you got back on the right track :station: Ahhh I’ve missed you all!

3 Likes

I have Affinity Designer (used AI for awhile learning & started getting comfortable thanks to a good youtube teacher) but the bugs in my 2 different versions of AI just drove me nuts and slowed down my learning. It sounded like AD would be similar so I bought it & even upgraded but haven’t found a good youtube tutorial that helps with lasers.

I gave up and am taking what I consider a good course using Silhouette Designer Studio (business edition) from Crystal Aguilar. I’m down to the last module and feeling better about how it is going. Still quite rough on when to use the “Make compound path, release compound path, and convert to Path”. I think when I have that down I will be able to work in the software. Right now still a bit confused.

1 Like

I think you may have posted this to the wrong thread accidentally…perhaps you were meaning to post to the thread about Affinity Designer products being on sale?

3 Likes

So it got faster! but the 4000 speed/ full power engrave is barely engraving the masking paper. And the area where it will engrave is only a third of the whole bed (middle part) It’s a nice upgrade but still shamefully slow compared to competing lasers.

1 Like

The faster the speed, the smaller the engraveable area. As you have discovered, at high speeds the power may not be sufficient to engrave properly. It is an upgrade, but not applicable to all designs or materials.

2 Likes

Every time I see that, I hear the song “life in the fast lane” (eagles) in my head. :laughing:

3 Likes