Corner Slots šŸ˜­

I need serious help. Iā€™ve reached out to Facebook groups; watched tutorials on you tube, read read read and still I donā€™t get get. How do I make slots to align for an open box like this. Desperate need for help. Thanks. Ps I use illustrator.

Iā€™m pretty sure one of the box maker sites has an open box that you could create and adapt in your software. (https://www.instructables.com/The-Ultimate-Guide-to-Laser-cut-Box-Generators/https://www.instructables.com/The-Ultimate-Guide-to-Laser-cut-Box-Generators/)

(Iā€™m on my iPad, sorry for the crummy link.)

4 Likes

Thanks so much Iā€™ll try this out. Iā€™m so discouraged :sob:

I was hoping to be able to learn how to do it on my own in Adobe so I donā€™t have to rely on box maker program. Itā€™s because I have complicated joint systems. I wanted to learn the slot/tab system. Iā€™ve searched all over.

Try this

2 Likes

If you want to do this yourself, search for kerf correction. You need to account for the material that is vaporized by the laser.

1 Like

If what you want it what is the thing shows out of wood you can glue the strips in with wood glue and use acrylic as a separator. wood glue will not stick to acrylic :grin:

Also if the areas are masked and you remove the mask when the glue is set but not hardened it will keep the glue off those areas. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I get the kerf thing. Itā€™s when thereā€™s 2 sides that need to adjoin together that Iā€™m having trouble with so it aligns and fits perfectly to fit in the corner and bottom. I have no issue creating a simple tab and slot that fit with the Kerf formula. Does this make sense? French is my first language. Thanks :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hey! Thanks for this. Iā€™m not using any acrylic. Only wood.

I do mostly wood but having a bit of acrylic about as a tool even for just this case can be very handy.

You canā€™t have a tab and slot for an outside corner if you want the edges flush.

1 Like

Sorry if this is a stupid question. So basically what you mean is that I canā€™t join the corners with tabs or lots so itā€™s secrete (without using glue)?

Because this corner does have a finger joint? [quote=ā€œstoli, post:11, topic:107390, full:trueā€]
You canā€™t have a tab and slot for an outside corner if you want the edges flush.
[/quote]

If you want a mitered corner, that is going to require some serious effort and skill. If you just want flush edges, take a look in the catalog at the Modern Mosaic pencil box. It requires glue but not tabs and slots.

2 Likes

Ok thank you!

I guess what I want is to replicate the same open box as in pic 1. What I have trouble with is with the slots and tabs aligning to fit exactly like the first pic. I wanted to learn how to do this myself in Adobe illustrator but Iā€™ll try and research this again. Thanks.

If what you pictured from Etsy is a file, buy it and learn from it. If it is a product, buy it and learn from it.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for responding and helping out! Really appreciated.

I donā€™t really feel like we helped you this time, but donā€™t give up on the forum. Lots of really knowledgeable people here that are helpful.

I know Iā€™ve asked everywhere watched numerous videos but yes it wonā€™t stop me. Iā€™ve taught myself
Illustrator so thing will stop me
Now! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: