Crafting Foam-- Safe or Explosiony?

I’m in love with my Glowforge and am encouraging all of my teachers to use it. One has come to me with this stuff from Joann Fabrics and I honestly can’t tell/find any listing of what is in the stuff. It’s bendy and soft, no outter core, and the same material all the way through.

Any idea
a) if this is safe and
b) if it is safe, how to go about cutting it?

Thanks Hive Mind!

-C

1 Like
2 Likes

I’ve cut some craft foam several times. I remember looking up safety for it when I first did it, and judged that it was pretty safe. I know others use EVA foams in lasers for making cosplay costumes.

It cuts really well. But that being said, I don’t know what you are cutting is the same as what I’m cutting, so you might just want to do a quick google search to make sure it’s EVA foam, and that you feel safe cutting it.

3 Likes

Also, in addition to everyone else’s good advice: Foam fires can be nasty. You should ensure that you’re watching things like a hawk.

In general, try to avoid dense cutting when dealing with more flammable things like cardboard and foam. Stick to simpler shapes, and you’ll probably be fine. Go with very detailed or small features, and you’ll have a much higher chance of fire.

5 Likes

Here’s a link to a post where they used Craft Foam as well.

Thanks. I have been trying to cut foam and it just melts. I’ll try your settings.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

I bought this craft foam from hobby lobby and I tried to see what it is made out of and it doesn’t say anything and I tried to Google it but nothing came up. I am curious to know if I can use it on the glowforge? I don’t want to cut anything that will release toxic fumes!

It doesn’t say it is EVA foam, it is a 12”x18” sheet and 1.5mm thick.

I wonder what settings I would cut it on and if I would need to mask both side,

You need to figure out what it’s made of (preferably with an SDS). I’m afraid no one here can tell you based on that screenshot. There are ways to test for certain hazards - search the forum for “Beilstein test”.

1 Like

Also another thing I’ve seen elsewhere, if you cut Eva foam you will need to do multiple passes at a lower level if you don’t want shrinkage. You’ll need to do a bunch of testing to dial in your settings

2 Likes

Yeah sadly the company doesn’t seem to have an online presence at all - but maybe there’s something on the package? If you can contact Silly Winks they have to have an SDS. Hobby Lobby should but they’re not known for obeying laws so I don’t know how far you’ll get there :-/

Good luck!

Silly Winks is a Hobby Lobby in-house brand and to the best of my knowledge EVA. I make costumes and have used those with the laser frequently. I just used a bunch of off–brand Amazon adhesive glitter sheets for Mardi Gras throws without issue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQHJQRL?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CLRQ9J8G?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I liked both as the glitter stayed mostly on the sheet and they smelled like overcooked EZBake oven cake while cutting. Settings were 296/90/1 (my standard for high dense 2mm EVA).

To be clear EVA does produce toxic fumes when burned and a fair amount of dust. Ventilation is your friend; definitely give the fans a few seconds before opening the lid. If you are doing large orders on a regular basis, a VOCs-rated respirator wouldn’t hurt either. Birds and pocket pets can be particularly susceptible, so I wouldn’t leave them in the room.

4 Likes

by the way, I love your word “explosiony” lol
It sounds like something I’d say. hahaha

9 Likes

How embarrassed am I to remember that it January 2024…I’ll be in the shop.

2 Likes