Craftsman-inspired hummingbird window hanging

I picked up some 1/8" birch a little while back and wanted to try it out, so I put together this hummingbird design from this photo by James Wainscoat on Unsplash.

I think I want to try it again once I’ve got some acrylic on hand, and do an acrylic foreground/wood background.

27 Likes

Very pretty! :grinning:

2 Likes

Very nice! The humming birds are scarce where they were once plentiful since Maria. But they are coming back…

3 Likes

I was thinking colored acrylic fit into the holes.

Very glad to hear. between the immediate damage and lack of flowers, it would have been a very hard life for any survivors, even extinction could be a possibility from storms like that,

1 Like

Clever, I really like the openness of that.

1 Like

Gorgeous! Would also be nice in just the pink transparent :proofgrade: acrylic. The pink is more like a red and very fitting for a hummingbird. Especially hanging in front of a window.

1 Like

Can you give me some guidance on how you made this awesome creation? Thank you!

This is something you’re going to need graphics programs to do.

Get your raster program (GIMP, PaintNet, Photoshop, etc):
You’d import the image to your raster program - outline the part you didn’t want and delete it. Also messing with the contrast can significantly improve an engrave (here’s a video, and here’s text)

Then you’d get your vector program (Inkscape, Illustrator, Affinity Designer, etc.):
Import the edited image into your vector program and add vector lines around the outside - including adding the circle at the top - and around the parts on the inside that you want to fall out. The vector programs will have a “trace” function that will get you going, but you’ll need to do some manual editing of nodes once the trace is done. (here’s a video and here’s text)

It’s not as complicated as it looks - but it will likely be confusing the first few times, and then it will become second nature!

1 Like

Yup, @deirdrebeth is correct–I made the design in Illustrator if I recall correctly, using the trace function and then doing a lot of manual cleanup. If I did it again I’d put the loops at the corners.

However, it may be possible to do something like this using the outline feature that’s now built into the glowforge app software. I haven’t messed with it much because Illustrator is much more powerful and I’m familiar with it so it’s easier for me to just work in there and then upload the file, but it’s worth exploring if you don’t have access to Illustrator.

1 Like

Gimp has several ways to create masks and then turn them into vectors that can be saved as an SVG and then loaded into the GFUI, or you could open it and combine with the raster in Inkscape.