Crosshatching engrave alternative

So I thought I’d try some crosshatching experiments. First manually in the GF ui, using the engrave fucntionality.

I made a semicircle to engrave inside a hexagon. I then engraved at 35 lpi, cut the hex, lifted it out, and rotated it manually by 60 degrees. Ran the engrave again. Here it is after 2 steps:

And here after 3:

And detail:

It was cool but fiddly and I don’t know how useful.

Ages ago I tried manually making fill patterns, it was tedious and this was before clean corners, so I thought maybe I should see what’s up these days. I found a crosshatching extension for Inkscape, which made convenient crosshatching. It looks like this:

And the result… This was after I cleaned the surface (don’t judge me, I used water and soap with a toothbrush, I just was moving quickly and this is a test. As such the surface got a little beat up.)

Cleaned continuous path 90 degree 0.5mm crosshatching (roughly 50 lpi I think):

Cleaned continuous path 90 degree 1mm crosshatching:

Broken-path crosshatching manually angled at 30 degrees:

6 sets of 15 degree offset crosshatched areas going for progressive shading:

3 sets of 30 degree offset crosshatched areas going for progressive shading:

So, what’s the point here? I’m not sure. It’s faster, and aesthetically it’s different. Different can be good, if you’re trying to stand out at a craft show, so… knock yourself out?

I still can’t believe Glowforge hasn’t experimented with different fill patterns to make new aesthetics and at the very least make engraves faster. I published this research years ago (December 2017), they have had plenty of time to implement it. It’d be such a win for them, I think more beneficial and interesting than many of the design features they’ve released.

And halftones:

Anyway, laser stuff and have fun out there :slight_smile:

And here are the pics of the piece before I cleaned it for completeness.

Gross.

Gross!

Gross

GROSS

GROSS!

Ewwwww

33 Likes

These look awesome! I especially like the 1mm!

7 Likes

This one looks like scales - it would be great on any of the underwater layered designs!

13 Likes

It’s way easier to do it with the hatching tool and inside inkscape. This is essentially the same trick:

14 Likes

I just had an idea too, same tricks, but change to a dashed line and then convert the dashes to line segments. Brb, apparently I have things to do :wink:

Edit:

Haha, I made 4 concepts, and they are lots of nodes.

I’ll have a full report shortly.

14 Likes

Hmmm… interesting idea here. Definitely inspiring!

8 Likes

OK so dashes and crosshatching. This got interesting.

Three squares.

Details on the rightmost

And a circle with tiny uncoordinated dashes:

Yields:

I probably should have spaced the dash pattern a bit further apart on that circle, it looks like a grid… but you can see that there’s some interesting texture to the lines. It probably would have been clearer with less power too.

Anyway, proof of concept done, interesting.

Previously, halftones:

22 Likes

That’s my favourite.

8 Likes

I love this one. It looks like basket weaving done with reeds.

8 Likes

These certainly give some inspiration!

4 Likes

I love the texture on this one:

13 Likes

Perfect little mounds

6 Likes

Genuinely curious - Is there a functional benefit to this versus running three sets of score lines without lifting the piece out in between steps?

6 Likes

My wonder is how to get centerlines from double lines in Inkscape. Apparently, other programs do it But I can’t figure it in Inkscape or Gimp,
hatch.

3 Likes

The textures on those are just cool as heck. I need to play with that.

4 Likes

Inkscape - if you’re tracing, one of the options is centerline. If you already have a vector, break apart and then grab whichever line (s) you actually want.

5 Likes

So one thing I will say is that crosshatching paths can lead to a lot of nodes. This bogs down the file upload and even the UI operation for aligning and stuff. In those cases, it may be better to let GF make the engrave areas and handle all the pathing.

This is an edge case, but then this entire concept is one big edge case, mostly to do it to see if it can be done. I need to revisit the spiral engraving path trick and see if clean corners made it better, I really did like that effect.

5 Likes

Definitely interesting. Thanks for sharing. Another rabbit hole to explore. :joy:

7 Likes

Fun experiments, very interesting!

5 Likes

Nice patterns! I’m thinking the 35 dpi trick might be useful for distressing gluing surfaces for better adhesion.

7 Likes