Halftones in inkscape

Short version: There’s a way to make halftone images in Inkscape.

imageimage

Long version: I remembered this technique from a few years ago when I was playing with a pen plotter (No, not a polargraph, but I still kind of want one). Basically, you use Inkscape’s tiled clones feature to get the result you want. This allows for crazy control, but one warning: Be careful of how many nodes you have in your “dot”. It scales up incredibly quickly, and pretty soon you’ll have a beast of an SVG on your hands.

Luckily I was able to find the original post that describes it in pretty good detail, so here you go:

Old dead link that doesn't work anymore

Sadly link rot has settled in and polargraph is mostly shut down. I’ve included a new guide to the same technique below.

Old link (non-functional, but here for archival purposes)

http://www.polargraph.co.uk/forum/polargraphs-group2/drawing-techniques-forum4/using-inkscape-to-generate-vectorized-halftones-thread105/

New link:

Here’s the file if you’re so inclined. Hopefully I haven’t angered the Branding guideline masters at GF with this…

gfscribble

Right click to download

36 Likes

I don’t know why this showed up in my feed as a new topic, but I’m glad it did. It’s cool.

5 Likes

I edited the original post to add the new link to a modern tutorial today, must have made it appear new.

5 Likes