Curved Surfaces/custom item rotator with 6" z depth

Now that a 6" deep bed has been announced I think this needs to be asked again. Maybe I could create a spindle that would allow me to etch one line at a time though this seems like it would not work very well. Can I for example Etch on a pint glass? What are the limitations? I’m beginning to think an epilogue would better suite branding type business endeavors.

4 Likes

6 inches?. Nope, 2" is the spec.

6 Likes

Yeah guess I read that wrong a 6" workspace… hmm “depth is reduced ½” " does this mean total depth will be 1.5" ? guess i’ll have to get another laser for glasses and the like.

1 Like

Total depth with tray removed is 2". Focus is 1/2". So the surface of what ever you engrave needs to be in that 1/2" focus area, or 1.5" to 2" from the bottom if the crumb tray is removed or no more than 1/2" above the crumb tray if it is installed.

9 Likes

That was referring to the front to back distance, confusingly. It was 12", it now 11.5".

5 Likes

There have been some discussions (search on “rotary”) about how you could do rotary engraving of bigger objects using additional/replacement optics, but those are definitely blue sky. And according to one of the pre-release folks (was it @marmak3261 ?) the air assist hangs down far enough from the head that the 2" total depth is a pretty hard limit.

5 Likes

This post gives a great description of how to etch glass items that are too big to fit into a GF: How to engrave a glass bottle on a Glowforge

12 Likes

Thanks! I had never though of that! I’m a pretty big newbie to all of this.

2 Likes