Cutting not

Your speed looks too fast.

When I cut plywood, my speed is 220 with full power.

I try to use proofgrade settings when I can.

3 Likes

Your speed is way off. Slow it down or use a proofgrade setting.

3 Likes

I’ll try those settings. I looked up how to clean lens, so I did that. I’m going to try and print again. Thank you!

1 Like

What setting for engraving

I use standard settings, but it looked like your settings were working fine.

Just select the closest material match you can in the upper corner and start with those settings. Then just change them if needed.

1 Like

Her we go!

It’s not proof grade. Do you use proof grade? It’s kind of costly, isn’t it? This wood is from peckerwood brand.

I still use the proofgrade settings even when I am not using proofgrade.

I get a lot of my plywood from Home Depot and just use the Basswood or Maple Plywood settings.

4 Likes

Thank you so much, I’ve learned a lot from you guys today! I’m so new to this! It’s so much fun when it works!! I think cleaning it was a big help!!!

4 Likes

It cuts almost perfect. It has a little busting on side. Is there a way to make it cut smooth? Do you think it’s my wood?

1 Like

The problem may be the wood, but it would be hard to prove that supposition. What is important for the successful operation of your Glowforge is that you learn the things important for success. Keeping all of the optics and fans clean, using the set focus tool properly, insuring that your material is held perfectly flat against the honeycomb tray and understanding manual settings are crucial. If you haven’t worked through the Glowforge tutorials, I urge you to do so now. Also reading through this information will help you reduce material waste and frustration. https://support.glowforge.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033633354-Make-Your-First-Prints

3 Likes

Thank you

Glad you got it working for the most part. If it’s not cutting through all the way, you can try to slow it down just a bit more (like by 5 points). You can also try pinning the wood down (look for honeycomb hold down pins). Wood tends to warp and even the slightest warp can impact the cut-through. And, lastly, if the wood has any glue or voids, it also won’t cut well.

I do use some proofgrade because it’s finished and easy and sometimes I’m in a hurry and don’t want to mess around. Paying more for one good piece of wood is worth it rather than having to muck around. Not always, but sometimes. But I also have some stockpiled from pre-pandemic costs.

7 Likes

I use non proofgrade but as stated, a lot of it has voids in it. There’s lots of other suppliers out there with better products but cheaper than proofgrade.

1 Like

Thank you so much, I appreciate all the help! I’ve cleaned my lenses about three times in the last two days(haha). Things are looking good!

2 Likes

you can make your life easier if you get a powerful flashlight and shine it through the wood. if you see dark shadows compared to other parts of the wood, that means there is a filler in there that likely won’t laser well. you can “steer” around those.

8 Likes

What @ca_worth said, in more detail:

5 Likes

While keeping the lens clean is important, I think more likely you’re problem is just finding the right settings to cut through this particular wood.

I often tune my settings for every batch of wood.
I use an approach similar to what’s in this post:

5 Likes

Sounds like you might not fully understand settings. Read through all of these tutorials:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.