Cutting Out the Bottom of Your Glowforge

I found the info online but it doesn’t give a manufacturers part number. I understand the high voltage connection to the tube is difficult to transfer so hopefully it never comes to that.

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge, it’s not a part you can buy. They may be the manufacturer that sources the part for GF, and it may be based on a generally-available product, but it’s not a plug-and-play “off the shelf” part available to the general public.

This comes up many different applications. In the automotive world, people are hunting down (for example) replacement turbos, and find part numbers on OEM stuff, but the actual components are custom built for that specific vehicle and not sold in that configuration, only supplied to the vehicle manufacturer for distribution through their parts supply network.

8 Likes

One of the original delays was they had to redesign the power supply. Until one is actually sourced outside of a repair I would be cautious on assuming it can be obtained.

5 Likes

^^ that’s true. As I recall the first of the 6 month delays was due to the company struggling with a source for their requirement, which suggests one with the needed specs wasn’t readily available.

2 Likes

At the time Dan said it was the continuously variable control of the power output - required for “vary power” handling of engraves (& 3D engraves).

4 Likes

That doesn’t surprise me, I remember marveling at that when I was engraving @mpipes Diamond knurl pattern watching it ramp up and down sculpting that file at full speed. :no_mouth:

4 Likes

HELP!

I nicked one of the tubes, how do I figure out what that tube was for and how to fix :cold_sweat:

Hi, that is unfortunate! What do you mean by tube? Can you post a picture?

There is only one “tube” in the Glowforge, and that is the one that houses the laser. If it is damaged, the machine will have to be sent in for repair.

You might want to open a technical support case in Problems and Support instead of posting here.

Not in this case…we’re on our own after making a modification to the machine. Support will not assist.

Pertinent information below:

You might want to try OpenGlow. Someone there might be able to identify it for you.

I mean the OP might mean the coolant hose/tube. it’ll require a bit more info, and maybe pics.

5 Likes

its a small black rubber tube underneath the machine- not the laser tube in the bed

I didn’t get a picture :frowning: I used electrical tape to seal it, not too much liquid came out.

1 Like

tenor

15 Likes

OMG - I love that Log!!!

This thread makes me wonder if you could remove the crumb tray and metal plate and have the GF cut its own bottom out…

6 Likes

8-snake

9 Likes

Probably not, since the laser focus area is so short. It’d give the bottom a nice tan, though! I’m seriously considering widening the hole like @MechanicalGoose! I had kept it small, fearing it may hurt the integrity of the machine, but the wooden substructure makes that a non-issue. Great mod-mod!

@MechanicalGoose and/or @matt.stoker :: What did you use to make the actual cuts? In my pro glowforge I don’t see any screws. What I do see are welds. Should I assume then that they’ve changed their production and no longer use screws? I’m now nervous about cutting into the bottom as I don’t know if any other changes were made to wiring, supports, etc…

I definitely want to make the mod. Just nervous about how and where to start. Any advice?

Boy times have changed when suggested this I got beat up on.
I knew it would work.
Did you make air tight risers to set it on?

1 Like

Well you were probably back when people were figuring out the impact of doing it. That horse is well dead, so if you want to risk it, have at it. Glowforge probably won’t repair your machine again (like at all, I’m not talking about warranty. Case modifications might well make you ineligible for repair of any kind), but if you are cool with that, then we’re done here.

1 Like