Cutting Tin Foil!

Just discovered I can cut tin foil. Use a light spray of Cermark metal laser marking spray on the laser side. cut at full power, 500 speed. Leaves a black, clean edge. Renolds Wrap Heavy Duty Foil.

15 Likes

While interesting…personally I would consider using an expensive spray like Cermark as a waste of money and time. Are you making something with laser cut foil pieces?

3 Likes

I’m guessing it serves as a conduit for enough extra heat!

4 Likes

I needed to make a heat shield in an odd shape for a client. They pay my expenses, of course. And yes, the Cermark absorbed the energy and melted the foil. I think I wasted more spray clearing the nozzle than I did coating the foil.

14 Likes

I wonder if any sort of laser absorbent material would do the trick? I had success with foil backed cardstock, maybe the same principle?

3 Likes

I would think any black spray paint would work…

6 Likes

Yeah that’s a good thought. The nice thing about the cermark is that it washes away where you don’t laser. If you used paint (any color), you’d be left with painted foil, which may or may not be ok depending on your use. Hmm. Maybe a washable paint?

2 Likes

I wonder if may be as simple as a cardstock, foil sandwich? I’m not close to the laser or I’d try it.

2 Likes

Hmm maybe? I’d think you would want the laserable material in full contact with the foil, if there’s any gap it might cause it to fail. Glue would work, but you don’t want to wrestle with the foil after the cut.

The sandwich is a good idea, should give it a whirl .

I was thinking spray paint because that’s what I have in the shop.

however tempra paint being waterbased for kids should wash off completely.?

I would think so anyways. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A quick 15 minute experiment told me it’s not that simple. I did get some scoring and holes in the foil but it wasn’t clean and simple.

3 Likes

I again cut some 0.010" aluminum foil dusted with Cermark at speed: 500, power: full and it worked great. My guess is that there is a chemical reaction with the Cermark that creates the permanent marking (the intended purpose) but also lots of heat.

2 Likes

Maybe an oddball question, what about a sharpie marking where you want to cut?

Very encouraging. I want to cut cardstock on which I will apply aluminum tape as a light blocker (lit sign where the design is sandwiched between two sheets of glass). I am new to this laser and was worried about the aluminum reflecting the laser and causing damage to my new machine. Could anyone advise on what I need to be careful of? Is cutting through better than engraving given the laser would punch through the reflective surface?

1 Like

No issues with aluminium reflecting. The only metallic like thing you need to worry about is copper - something about the wavelength it reflects at being bad for CO2 lasers.

3 Likes

Not sure the uncoated foil will cut. Try the Cermark spray ( it works) or maybe black paint??? (have not tried this…)

2 Likes

No - tinfoil won’t cut - or might if you spend a lot of time in one spot. They are using it as a blocker after cutting cardboard (at least that’s how I understood their statement.)

2 Likes

Take a look at the pictures at the beginning of this thread. Cut on a glow forge pro

1 Like

Yes - I understand what the topic is about. I was responding to the question that @GRrrr posted about whether or not tinfoil reflecting would be a problem.

2 Likes

If it is not a problem (laser machine safety concern) I will try it now. Speed 500 and power full to start.

1 Like