Design software in the Classroom

I’ve been working on some writen ones, and could use some feedback. Ask @Jules to add you to the tutorial work group.

1 Like

Yes, you can let me know if you are interested. Or Mark can send them to you…they’re not a secret. :relaxed:

We’re more or less just waiting on a place to start uploading them at this point. (I’m not sure Discourse has the right format for it.)

1 Like

Mark, I’m planning on starting with your whole series very soon, now that I’ve got the taxes done! (Just have to do Mom’s now).

1 Like

I think I hate you…sigh! I still face the annual ordeal. :confused:

2 Likes

That’s not a good place to be in when you’ve got a Glowforge constantly beckoning. :cry:

3 Likes

Yeah.:cry:

1 Like

That’s right, if you don’t want to be part of the tutorial group PM me and I’ll get them to you.

1 Like

I had lots of success using Inkscape and GIMP with 3rd graders on up. I also used Sketchup and they really liked the intuitive sculpting approach. The key thing was coming up with a project that would get them excited. I’d bring some photos of things and they would use tracing and drawing to vectorize them. Once they were done we could make a coloring book of their designs.

4 Likes

Wasn’t a fan of GIMP when they started adding in adware and junk. I really enjoy Krita. Free open source drawing/art program. Has vector tools too.
https://krita.org/en/

3 Likes

Great idea!

My friend, I haven’t been in a church since I was married, 38 years now, but what of you that has been on display around here for a year now tells me you were born to be a Pastor. I think you could pull a community together all by yourself.:+1:

'You give but little when you give of your possessions, it is when you give of yourself that you truly give.
(and you just left a little piece of yourself in Mexico)
'There are those who give with mindfulness of virtue… and there are those who give like the valley breathes its fragrance into space’. < That describes you Marion. :+1:

Sometime when you are waiting on a print to finish, type us up a synopsis of the cool things that happened for you in Mexico. The museum share was stellar, I know now not to call it a calendar. :sunglasses:
On behalf of all of us and your cat, Welcome Home.

8 Likes

I second those who suggested Adobe Illustrator…I used to collaborate with my shop teacher and would teach them how to auto trace (and adjust…a whole lot of adjusting!) a jpg to turn it into a vector to get it ready to laser. They seemed to do just fine, and there were always seventh graders in the class. We had a district license for it, so that helps!

I’m excited for you! Fellow school makerspace person here–we’ll have to swap ideas. I’m jealous you could order a Glowforge for yours…with how our purchasing works a pre-order wasn’t possible but I’m hoping to get one for my library down the road.

3 Likes

Awe shucks. I have a really cool post planned regarding some inspiring designs that I came across at my school. Original artwork that is a real treasure. The rest of my posts would be food and the strange uniqueness that is Spanish. As much as my Latin, Italian and French make Spanish accessible to me to read, in the end it has been a stumbling block. How Spanish developed to be Spanish is fascinating. Not just the transformation of the consonants but the unique rhythm of Spanish and the average length of the words. There is some syntactical magic going on that I can’t quite grasp in the spoken form. At least my brain just hasn’t quite slipped into it yet. Getting closer though.
Thanks for the affirmation.

5 Likes

That sound’s interesting. Emerson in the culture is the quickest way to learn the language, trial by fire as it were. I’ll wager you are better than when you left.

Outstanding. We look forward to it!

www.lynda.com does have a beginner course for Fusion 360. You have to have access to the site, though. Plenty of places offer free access. I get it through my local library.

Haven’t taken that particular course, but it’s a professional site as opposed to something like YouTube. Don’t get me wrong, I love gettin’ me some learnin’ on YouTube. But this might be a bit more polished.

7 Likes

I did take that second one on your list. I suppose it’s a pretty good one but it does suffer some of the same flaws mentioned regarding other tutorials; mainly, missing steps where you have no idea how they got there.

1 Like

what format is it in, pdf?

I love that idea!! Do you have any pictures or anything from it? I’d love to see what they came up with!

Some pdf’s, some mp4s, some Youtube links, some Word docs and PowerPoint (at this point)…there were several different contributors. :relaxed:

@Jules, I’d also like to get a copy of the F360 tutorials. I really do want to learn the application to where it’s useful to me. With my background as a Technical Writer, I can give you feedback on how the tutorials read and correct any spelling or grammar errors that I find.

2 Likes

No one, I believe mentioned TinkerCad from Autodesk ,(I believe)…don’t know if it’s up to grade wise stuff…but…take a look.

3 Likes