Design software in the Classroom

You might want to have @markevans36301 send you a copy of the F360 tuts that he has written directly.

It’s going to be easier than you trying to find them scattered through the Repository, and any suggestions that you have for grammar can be worked out directly with him, and he can upload the revisions.

For everyone else wanting to see the tutorials, it’s going to be extremely confusing for you to try to sort through them now, they still need to be organized. So it might be easier for you to wait to read them until we get them straightened out somewhat. That’s the reason we took them offline to create them - it’s beyond confusing for beginners to get bits and pieces of something before it has been put into some kind of logical structure.

Patience grasshoppers! Chuckle! We’re in good shape, and as soon as @Rita comes up for air, I’ll discuss getting them uploaded with her. :smiley:

5 Likes

There’s an area in the FB group for files. We can host them there or you/I can upload them to dropbox and link them there. The MP4 videos can be placed on a public / restricted / password protected YT channel, if you would like a central location.

If you want some help converting the other documents to PDF, let me know (it would be a good idea to have a single required file type, and PDF is supported by basically every device out there at this point).

3 Likes

That’s a very kind offer, but the final decision on where to host the tutorials is up to @Rita and the team at GFHQ, and they have been extremely busy lately. Chuckle!

The tutorials are actually pretty far down on the priority list until the production units start shipping out, so I don’t want to distract them from the important business they are doing.

And I’m still tweaking a few based on things I’m discovering now that I have a unit in hand. (I don’t want to post premature (wrong) information.) And others are still writing some.

We’ll get them loaded up in good time…there are still a few months left.

4 Likes

apologies; i wasn’t aware this had some kind of official support and wouldn’t want to step in in that case. also, the forum is yelling at me because i’ve addressed you three times in this topic. discourse is so weird.

13 Likes

Oh yeah, Discourse does that to me several times daily. (It’s supposed to be a conversational forum, how the heck are you supposed to do that without replying? Chuckle!)

11 Likes

Will it be possible for non Facebook members like myself to get to them if you put them in a Facebook group? My understanding is that they would not, since I can’t view the group itself.

yes; i was speaking of using it as a repository of links more than anything else, but the point is moot.

1 Like

I love the emphasis on ‘other’ in there. Goodness discourse we are trying to chat here leave us alone :laughing:

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of sketch up. I’ve used it for years with our scout troop to help in designing Eagle Scout projects. I’ve always stuck to the free version so the boys without resources weren’t left out. (Also, the “warehouse” has thousands of models which can be downloaded straight into your project and modified to save a lot of time for the instructor too.) To be fair I am learning F 360 though I personally think it is a little less intuitive.

3 Likes

I think both are great, f360 just does things for me I have a hard time with in sketchup.

2 Likes

Tinkercad.com is awesome for someone new to 3d modeling (me)… And it’s all contained right in the browser and has little quick mini turorials you walk through at sign up. I think it’s the most user friendly starter designer I’ve seen. No money or download required. As far as laser, I’m a 2d graphic designer and I love all Adobe products so much that my 8 year old self would probably ask me why don’t I marry it because i go on and on about how much better it is than anything else to any one stuck listening to me. If you do a lot of tracing of images from the Internet to convert to vectors you can cut, nothing can touch it. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Coming in late to this, but don’t forget the GF autotrace feature. Some of the kids are geing to be used to pen and pencil on paper, and as much as you can go with that will be a good way to draw them in. (I’ve been trying to think of ways to print up sheets for custom boxes with slots and tabs already there and the rest to be filled in…)

4 Likes

Something you can always be guaranteed to expect when software comes up in the forums… Fusion 360 fans arguing that it’s not so hard if you already know Sketchup, and Sketchup fans saying Fusion 360 is more/harder than they expected. :laughing:

I’m fairly good at Sketchup. I’m learning Fusion now. It’s not that hard if you keep it simple, but ohmygod the workflow of Fusion is driving me nuts… so much extra effort.

3 Likes

Sketch… Dimension… Extrude. Fusion 360 really is that easy :slight_smile:

The right tool for the job is the one that you’re most comfortable with that lets you get the job done. If that is drawing program that is fine too.

Sketchup and TinkerCAD are both beginner’s and casual user CAD packages in my mind. That isn’t to say that people aren’t doing serious work with them, but there are other tools that might prove better for some use cases.

Fusion 360 is a more robust mechanical design tool. From what I’ve seen with the March update it is getting better and better. There are still a few things I’d want before using it as a full fledged business design tool, but it’s great for my purposes! :smile:

Back in the 80’s I used to joke that that most common CAD programs were MS Paint and MacDraw. To each their own. If the tool lets you do what you need to do then that is all that matters.

4 Likes

I tried Tinkercad but some of the objects didn’t appear in the tutorials. Frustrated. Then I remembered @rubbersoul79 said that is browser based so I switched from Firefox to Safari and it looks like that solved the problem.
Well not exactly. Further use, the objects panel disappears and no hint as to how to get it back.
I guess I’ll stick with Fusion 360.

2 Likes

I agree, that part is easy. It’s just the rest of the Fusion user interface that gets in your way when you go beyond ‘sketch, dimension, extrude’. Sounds like you’re just saying the same thing in the '10s. :grin:

2 Likes

Pretty close. LOL

2 Likes

Please DON"T paste them to Facebook. Not everyone is a member, and even if posted for access without an account, it’s a real PITA

1 Like

?

look, if i want to put a bunch of links somewhere it’s fine, you can do the same. if you read the thread i already said i didn’t wish to take part after reading they had some degree of official participation

2 Likes

Happy Cake Day! It’s nearly over…hope it was a good day for you!

1 Like