"Device Error!" on Initial Setup

Good afternoon,

I am trying to setup my new Glowforge Plus on my school’s network and am having issues. IT has whitelisted the MAC address, so it should be able to connect to either our unsecured guest network or our more secure faculty/staff network. Our guest network is open and the MAC address of my Glowforge has been whitelisted. Our secure network uses WPA2-Enterprise and 802.1x EAP (per my IT department).

I also tried connecting to my phone as a hotspot, and that failed as well. I could see the connection on my phone, but I still received the “Device Error!” page. I have attached the log file for my `Forge. Please advise next steps to try, as my students, principal, IT department, Educational Technology department, and district-level administration would like to see the Glowforge in operation compared to more bulky/industrial laser solutions.

Thank you for your help,
Todd Metcalf
Ensign Intermediate School
Site Technology Coordinator
Lead Engineering Teacher
Glowforge Owner since October 4, 2016 (received March, 2018)
Logs-YWV-769-20181002-172157.zip (114.9 KB)

Are you sure it’s getting a fast connection over a 2.4Ghz network? (not a 5Ghz)

1 Like

I’m so sorry you’re having trouble getting setup.

You’ll need to connect your Glowforge to a non-Enterprise network once first, so it can download the firmware update. That firmware update will include the Enterprise Wi-Fi support.

For example, you can create a hotspot on your cell phone and use that network to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi.

You can find instructions online to help you create a Wi-Fi hotspot from your cell phone. Make sure that you set it up to be a 2.4 GHz hotspot, since that is the frequency your Glowforge uses.

Once the Wi-Fi hotspot is broadcasting, you can connect to it by following these steps:

1. Turn on your Glowforge.
  2. Wait 30 seconds. Then hold down the button for ten seconds until it glows teal.
  3. Navigate to setup.glowforge.com and follow the instructions on-screen. When prompted to connect your Glowforge to Wi-Fi, choose the hotspot you created.
  4. When asked to provide the password for your network, copy and paste your Wi-Fi password.
  • Type your network’s Wi-Fi password in a text editor, like Microsoft Word or Google Docs, then highlight and copy it

• Watch for common mistakes: substituting zeros for the letter O, copying an extra space at the end, and letters that should be capitalized

• Return to setup and paste the copied Wi-Fi password

• Check the “Show password” box to make sure that the password is correct

1. Make sure your password hasn’t been changed
  • On your computer, phone, or tablet, disconnect from your Wi-Fi network. Reconnect by pasting the same password from the step above. If it does not work, the password is incorrect.
  • Ask your network manager if someone changed the password
  • If you still cannot gain access, reset your password
  • Once you’ve confirmed your password, click “Restart Setup” again

If you’re still seeing any errors at that point, please take a screen shot include it in your reply.

2 Likes

Problem with canned answers:

2 Likes

According to my IT department, the network broadcasts in both bands…

Thank you Tom. I’m glad to see you actually read my post. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pip, given that I’m using an iPhone 6s running iOS 11, I’m pretty sure it’s broadcasting in 2.4 GHz. I could see it connect to the phone, but I would still get a “Device Error!” page. I’ll try again today…

Well, I don’t know why my `Forge wouldn’t connect through my phone yesterday, but it did today. Firmware updated and I have since been able to connect to my School’s network. Woot!

3 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!