Discussion of August 2018 Update

It doesn’t seem to be there any more, which makes me sad. I thought I’d watch it last night when I had time, but it was gone by then. I hope it reappears.

1 Like

True. You can pick it up but if you have a warranty return you’d need to drive back to drop it off & maybe again to pick up the replacement (although you might be able to do it in one trip).

At least one Canadian who did the pickup process has to do a warranty return.

I’d think it would be a major PITA.

1 Like

Does Canada have regulations in place like the EU saying shipping has to be covered? If not, internationals are responsible for return shipping. And if that’s the case, it kinda sounds like a boat headed the same place, just with a different captain. Pick your poison.

The biggest issue I’d have if I went that route is its a LONG drive to the border to pick something up/wait for a shipment and where I’m working a 9-5 Monday to Friday job I can’t just take days off and run to the border.

Don’t know but it wouldn’t matter for US pickups because it wasn’t shipped to Canada.

That’s the point :slight_smile: if you do a US pickup and need warranty work, you’re driving it back to the border for shipping. (At least you could wait for the new unit to arrive and ship the old one back when you pick up the new one). If you wait for intl delivery and need warranty work, you don’t have to make the trip, but you’re going to be on the hook for shipping.

I think I’m confused.

If you’re in the US and they ship to you and then you have a warranty problem they pay shipping.

If you’re in Canada but take delivery in the US and you have a warranty issue you’re driving to the border and they pay shipping.

If you’re in Canada but take delivery in the US and you have a warranty issue but you’re willing to pay outbound shipping you’re still driving to the border to get the replacement.

If you’re in Canada and they’re shipping to Canada and you get it delivered to Canada then have a warranty issue I think you’re on the hook for shipping because it’s international but you’ve got no option to drive to the border for GF to pickup the shipping.

I don’t think @Dunfee has any good option because it takes 2 days for a round-trip to pick it up and if he has a problem he’ll have another 2 day trip. It’s not like the people who live an hour from the border. Until GF adds Canada as a destination, whether they pay for warranty shipping (EU rule) or not isn’t relevant to Canadians except in the abstract.

1 Like

I feel like we are saying the exact same thing.

Just FYI: When I had a warranty return the accompanying email said:

“Normally we’d require that you either send the unit to us for investigation or place a hold on a credit card before shipping out a replacement. Since we are just getting started, we’ll make an exception…”

1 Like

Yeah most of the ones we’ve seen here appear to be the kind where they’re replacing rather than fixing and making that determination at the start of the process. I’d expect that to change over time. Only have seen a couple P&S reports where people paid for replacement parts.

Even the couple of international returns we’ve seen appear to have been treated as DOAs and replaced without awaiting old unit ship backs first even when they’ve been in use for more than a couple of days.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean?

We don’t comment on individual customers. We haven’t shared how the software that collects sensor data works (and it changes periodically as we learn new ways to improve the product based on sensor data), but we wrote a bit about how camera images in particular are used here: How We Troubleshoot

Our commitments to you are in the terms and privacy policy. Anything else I say might be construed as extending or changing those commitments, which our friendly neighborhood lawyer would not appreciate, since we spent so long getting them set in the first place.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry for how late we are, and you have every reason to be skeptical. Until we are done, we’re not done, and things could change. We’re working hard to manage compliance and logistics for every country on the list, and your ship date reflects our best guess for when we’ll finish your country.

Unfortunately I don’t have anything other to share - we’ll keep your date updated with the best forecast we can until we can deliver.

2 Likes

Hello. Good news about lots if things. Looking forward to getting my filter.

I may have missed it elsewhere but can Overseas customers buy PG material yet? We have vouchers that we cant spend. If not what is the issue? Thanks and apologies if I missed it. Cheers.

I purchased the Pro model for the auto alignment of long cuts on materials through the passthrough slot. Can we expect this feature to work this year?
Yes, I know there are manual ways of alignment, but I use computer control to reduce the need for tedious processes so I can use my time for more productive uses.

1 Like

There are more than a few times where the coolest idea process does not actually do a better or faster job or even less effort. It would be nice to have a button that just moved the design 10 inches vertically exactly, but the rulers on the side can do a decent job, and a vertical pin through the crumb tray ca be a register as well.

One can think of many things that can or should happen magically, but actually making them happen is not so magical as waving your hand or pushing a button. The processes are there to accomplish the goal and while a bit more info such as the distance from the top of the design to the top of the cuttable area would be very handy or a set of crosshairs instead of an arrow (@dan) what is there makes it possible now.

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

The ability to have an automated method of cutting designed longer than 11" going through the passthrough slot is not magical in the least. It is simply programming. This is a feature that was promised three years ago and the Glowforge needs to get on with it.
If they are unable to do so, they should just admit it. I never promise anything to anyone (especially my children), that way no one has unmet expectations.

A manual method is irrelevant, as that was not how the Pro unit was billed to operate.

5 Likes

Exactly what is the “simple process” ? Especially as the placement of material is entirely user driven and not placed by computer. or in any way connected precisely to the cutting system. even the camera to visual alignment is way improving over what it was but still not down to the millimeter much less less than that. if you cannot have a computer driven movement of the material through the passthrough, it will always be in that sense “manual” but it will keep its settings to the left and right if you use the arrow keys. So it is only the up-down part at issueand there is plenty of way to register each 10 inch step of the way.

I trongly suspect that what went on in your head when they explained what it will do may not be what was going on in theirs. When I first opened the GFUI there were not even numbers that I could see now they identify exactly where the print will be even though that might still not line up exactly on the outer edges with where you see the materials. That is however far better than it was.

1 Like

It is most definitely just SMOP (a Simple Matter Of Programming).

1 Like

I think we can do without the insults.

This has been a pretty civil forum over the years, despite lots of folks having lots of strong opinions. Is it too much to ask to keep it that way?

9 Likes