Discussion of (early!) July update

thanks, man. uff da, that’s more than i was hoping. :sob:

Solid Wood Maple 23.5" x 11.75" - 3/16" (singles)
Surface: 276.125 sq in
Cost: $34.32 + GST = $36.04
Cost / Sq Inch = $0.1305

– vs. –

Solid Wood Maple 11.75" x 3.9" - 3/16" (pack of 20)
Surface: 48.825 sq in
Cost per board: $155.81 / 20 = $7.79
Cost / Sq in = $0.1596

So yeah, pretty close to the same.

Yeah, not sure why the smaller sizes either, but keep in mind that the Glowforge can only fit up to 20.4 x 18.0" (and mar 11.5" of the 18.0")… so these larger boards will have to be cut down slightly in order to fit. I guess some of it depends on convenience of pulling one off a stack, too.

3 Likes

I found some nice big pieces of solid wood at a wood shop that supplies instrument makers. You should try calling around and seeing what’s available in your area. Even their off cuts and rejects will be great for what we need.

3 Likes

How can I “like” this one 20 times? Perfect reference…

1 Like

Relevant:

24 Likes

it’s a great point, and i 100% plan to / hope to; it’s just nice to have a backup if there’s a special thing you absolutely need hey

Question: Was this update emailed out to purchasers?

I have added hello@glowforge.com to my contacts list (a couple days prior to this update going up here). I have never received any emails beyond the original “we got your order” one back in 2015 from the hello@ email address. I’ve never seen a letter from Dan, or any updates at all without coming here.

I didn’t get this one as an email.

I did get the 6/7/17 update, but that was from @dan not hello@glowforge.

The last and only correspondence I’ve received from hello@ was my purchase confirmation.

1 Like

I don’t think this update was emailed out, but the previous one was (around the 8th of June)

If you received the purchase confirmation email then your email address should be correct, and you can confirm that in your profile.

If the subsequent emails have gone to spam then the June 8 update should still be in there. It has been less than 30 days since it was sent

What is the email address that @dan is using? So I can add that to my contacts too.

That would be: danshapiro@glowforge.com

You’re doing me a huge favor. Fingers crossed that I actually get emails from the man himself now.

3 Likes

Don’t expect to see an email very often from danshapiro@glowforge.com. Only received one last year (19 April 2016) and one this year (7 June 2017). Most everything else was just in the Announcements section of the forum.

1 Like

There was one more on 12/2/2016.

I’m afraid not.

I hope I get to send you one soon too. :slight_smile: Add support@glowforge.com for good measure!

2 Likes

Do you have any videos of the Glowforge cutting and engraving ordinary office paper? Would it be able to perforate paper?

1 Like

Here is some card stock that @karaelena did.

Still looking for a computer paper video.

Pre-Release | Butterflies are cool

1 Like

I don’t think we have any videos, but yes, it can definitely perforate paper.

2 Likes

If you saw my video the other night (sorry, discourse is fighting vimeo you may have to use the link) where even my untuned PRU does a super job of cutting paper.

2 Likes