Discussion of July 2021 Update

13 Likes

I’m happy to see that cardboard made it out of Early Access so quickly! :smiley:

9 Likes

Great improvements and additions! Thanks team.

9 Likes

Thanks for the acrylic sale and the improved interface, and thanks to all of the designers that have expanded the catalog significantly. It is fun to see new things added pretty regularly.

7 Likes

I’m still a newbie but your staff, and support have been excellent – not to mention (waiving arms wildly) the people on this forum :slight_smile:

Jonathan

6 Likes

Great to have acrylic priced below other sources! I just bought 12 sheets and wish I was able to afford more! :heart_eyes:

I am still sorting through paperwork to submit (now several) designs. Not enough Proofgrade for designs that take many sheets.

4 Likes

i’m bummed that only the 5x10 pieces of green glass are on sale. the 12x20s are not. :frowning:

7 Likes

Me too. I really didn’t need more clear acrylic, but with only the small sheets of glass green on sale, I ended up getting a 5-pack…actually…this 5-pack option is quite dangerous…I decided having more white and black couldn’t hurt either…except now my wallet is crying a little…

7 Likes

where is the 5-pack option? is it cheaper than buying 5 individual sheets?

1 Like

Nope, its the same price. 9.25 each, and I only saw it for white, black, and clear. But it made it easy for me to pick a number. They had a 10-pack option too.

2 Likes

Lots of great new stuff! Thanks to all who have made it possible…we love you! I have tons of acrylic, but wouldn’t you know…how can I not be tempted at half price.

7 Likes

Ditto this…I did NOT need more acrylic! And yet here we are. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

9 Likes

Great timing on the cardboard in terms of making shop designs. with PG otherwise being quite $$, the cardboard will make it more accessible for people to contribute to the shop.

4 Likes

I put peanut butter on my hot dogs…

But as for actually discussion…the improvements and new materials are great! Acrylic was the one material I never ordered or wanted but these new ones are for sure getting ordered. So I am excited for new material; aka. personal untapped protentional :slight_smile:

As for the the IG stuff…I have mainly been using IG for posting my glowforge work for the past year (it was not until recently that I have started using the forums). With my IG posts I always include my settings and provide any knowledge I have. After talking with fellow IG glowforges, apparently that is far from the case most the time (which is really sad that people try and hoard knowledge in a maker community). Maybe if more IG users started using the forums then they would see that this is a community to be part of.

Finally, ideas for future work…I know so many fellow sewists that order in tags to put on their creations and if they had the GF they could make it themselves. Some of my sewist friends have ended up getting a GF for that reason. Leather or cork engravable and sewable material would be great or other engravable fabrics might be fun. There is a "seam"ingly (pun intended) endless world of fabric :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You know I would love a snap grid ruler function, like that have in Photoshop and illustrator - where If my item is in the middle of the crumb tray, I can “Home” the ruler to be from THAT starting point

also a weirdness, i can’t move my layer boxes around all of a sudden so my cut layer is first / etch second / etc, they are refusing to move around and change order.
I’m gonna zap browser cache files and see if that helps…

3 Likes

So I thought I was really going crazy but then after talking with others, apparently there is more to it with this new interface. Idk what the x factor is but I have had issues with stuff that others have had no issues with. For example, I can move around my layers perfectly, but I cant go from cutting a layer to then ignoring it. Maybe the next release will solve what we never realized
needing solving :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve always had issues with this, it seems random as to when it lets me move the layers and when it doesn’t. I haven’t bothered going down a rabbit hole to try and solve it but it would be nice to at some point.

1 Like

Lol, am I the one not able to ignore layers? I can move them but I know its hit or miss for many. Can we all have a virtual session and share interfaces. I have found there is some order to operations to get stuck at the non ignoring layers state. Makes sense if the same is the case for moving layers.

In all, it actually is really cool to see how many use cases there are on these forums.

I’ve always been able to ignore layers…

1 Like

Argh, what am I doing wrong?? I can’t go from engraving a layer to then ignoring it. It updates in the side panel but the image on the screen stays grayed out like it’s going to engrave. I have to go to cut and then I can go to ignore. My workaround is to asked my self “are you sureeeee you want to?” whenever I go to engrave a layer.