Discussion of June '17 update

If you’re talking about showing up to the airport and listing as baggage your glowforge, I believe most airlines limit of liability for value on baggage is significantly less than the cost of a glowforge or even paying the airline for freight.

Not for $3000 (or $5000 for a Pro). They don’t keep that much liability.

But they’ll be happy to give you a coupon to send some other piece of baggage for free :grinning:

Stealing this for future use :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh let me tell you about packing foam! I’ve learned more about packing foam than I ever wanted to know. :wink:

23 Likes

That reminds me of a fun conversation with one of our payment providers who asked us to please change our terms to NOT actually commit us to delivering a product. “But that’s what Kickstarter does” they said… “And it would make thing so much easier from an accounting standpoint…”

Those low expectations are probably why so many folks are surprised to hear that we actually do owe you a product, and that we actually will give you a refund if you decide you don’t want it.

21 Likes

Can you tell us about packing foam and about making a cutting board for your mother?

3 Likes

:slight_smile: Both are long stories… I’ll try to find some time to commit them to text.

4 Likes

If nothing else, it’ll make for interested reading in your next book, “Glowforge: What I learned when creating a hugely successful laser printer that wasn’t really a printer.”

11 Likes

haha, he’d never okay that title i bet. what about: “glowforge: how we found success by redefining printers”

2 Likes

It’d be more fun over a bottle of swill!

ROFL so true though… liability vs revenue. Your books would have looked incredible. Thanks for making the moral choice!

2 Likes

Haha…i should talk to you about drop testing packaging for a $75,000 machine. Now that’s fun to see but same time 'cringing at the same time

3 Likes

not quite that pricey, but i’ve been through HP’s lab where they stress test all the workstations, and watching them throw the boxes on the ground over and over is, as you say, simultaneously satisfactory and disturbing.

2 Likes

"[quote=“mpipes, post:539, topic:8394”]
So I just searched and this thread is the only one with the word asshat in it. Guess the other thread was maybe edited or something? :slight_smile: It does sound vaguely familiar though.
[/quote]

That is my single favorite word, so I got scared for a minute. Shew. #wasntme

I was meaning it would be on Glowforge if they shipped it and it broke… He might get $500, a complimentary shakedown and a couple of drink coupons from the airline. lol If he flies a good one. :slight_smile:

Look at me… I finally learned to quote… maybe I will earn that Regular badge one day. lol

9 Likes

Oh but @dan you have so much free time with nothing going on at work. Come on. #slacker :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m slightly amused by the thought of how many times that’s been searched now and anyone who might be analyzing forum searches for customer service reasons, etc. with “asshat” appearing prominently on their list of search queries.

3 Likes

Here I sit, all broken hearted…paid to FORGE but not yet started! This March 2016 purchaser of a Basic model admits I have no clue of what I will actually make with a GF since I have no background knowledge of what is a vector or rastor, but at 66 years of age by the time one of them finds its way to my driveway I am willing to try to learn. Please…all of you young whipper-snappers out there…you need to (A) learn to be patient, and (B) learn to appreciate that you found yourselves able to be exposed to the skills and knowledge you have gained in your blessed years enabling you to maximize your abilities on a machine such as a GF. I have cancer and am grateful I even got in line to get a Glowforge. Probably my final techie tool. My advice…master your use of the GF abilities and PLEASE TEACH just one other younger person who you already know of the capabilities of a GF and of what skills the individual would be “smart” to begin developing. Help others as you are able.

28 Likes

Here’s to hoping you pull through.

B. x

2 Likes

I hope you get yours very soon! When you do, be sure to reach out for help if you need it – we are a helpful bunch and want everyone to succeed.

4 Likes

Now that was grace. (Happy to answer any questions I can when the machine arrives and you get started playing.) :slight_smile:

4 Likes