Discussion of March 2018 Update

Good news. Haven’t heard anything yet. But I’m in metric Germany. Seems that the former Axis of Inches gets served first.

Wooooaa there tiger. Not all of us voted leave.

2 Likes

That sucks that it’s useless. You should just ship it to my address. Or make it an awesome aquarium. Maybe attach a shark to the gantry.

You input inches in one field. Design in whatever units you want. Holy hyperbole.

4 Likes

The only places in the UI where inches are used are in the material thickness for non-Proofgrade materials and the focus height for a manual operation (which you don’t usually need to set, as it defaults to the material thickness.) So usually you don’t enter any measurements (if using Proofgrade) or you enter a single measurement (for non-Proofgrade). Just set your calipers to inches or divide your mm measurements by 25.4 until Glowforge updates their software to have a mm setting for that field.

Note that internally the code measures thickness/focus in mm; it only converts to inches when displaying the values. So it should be trivial for GF to modify it not to do the conversion. I’m sure they’ll get around to doing it soon.

Edit: there’s also the “lines per inch” measurement for engraving.

yes, all digital printing has been using these measurements, like 72dpi. But we do like rounding to 100s, or else we wouldn’t have 300dpi, which is a lie because 4 times 72 is 288.

Sorry, I read too much into the tea reference.

1 Like

It’s a wonder the rest of the world finds it worth trading with us seeing as how backward and archaic we are.

Wonder if there’s a measure of creative output (perhaps in terms of inventions or patents per capita) that might show us the superiority of that decimal system. Frankly it’s amazing we can tie our own shoes.

:grinning:

Velcro

2 Likes

Was that invented by metricians? :wink:

I bought some laces yesterday. They were metric. So frustrated. Flip flops today.

6 Likes

The Glowforge works fine in metric. I design in mainly in metric (being a part of the global engineering community, which is mainly metric), in Illustrator and Fusion360, and SVG’s all come in sized properly - so GFUI reads the metric units just fine.

Never resize anything in the GFUI, because it’s all visual, no units at all.

So the only non-metric unit is the material thickness, really used only for visually aligning cuts using the lid camera. And then it’s not just imperial units, it’s decimal inches, not fractions, so you just have to memorize the popular fractions. I only use three thicknesses (0.001 for paper, 0.125 for 1/8", and 0.25 for ¼"). Or if it really matters, use calipers and type in whatever they say. But if positioning really matters, use a jig so it’s repeatable.

Note that the actual laser focus distance is set by the distance sensor in the head so as long as the cut is placed well enough, even ‘material thickness’ doesn’t really matter.

4 Likes

Thank you, that’s a relief to hear. Although decimal inches are the worst invention ever. The good thing about inches is the divisions offered in a duodecimal system: divide by 2,3,4 and 6, while in decimal there‘s only 2 and 5. That’s why we still use points and picas (or cicero in Europe) for setting metal type: all the not-printing material has to be made up of physical units which fill a given space. But for actual measuring, decimal inches are just weird and offer neither advantages of the decimal or duodecimal systems.

I thought a metric UI was a requirement for The EU? I know its a requirement for cars to ha K/hr measurements in Canada I assumed that would need to be addressed before shipping abroad.

I agree. It’s not inevitable that they will continue doing so either. Already a fair amount of objects are actually manufactured to metric specs and given later imperial unit marketing. Hopefully they’ll stop bothering to do that soon too.

2 Likes

Well… this “FANTASTIC NEWS” just pushed me from March to June😡 I live in Norway and a person in my neighbor country Sweden just received the shipping confirmation! How is that even possible? @dan

1 Like

I waited for three years, did not read pre-order so long, is simply a scam

1 Like

My date has just jumped again within a few hours to 26th March so even closer! I don’t know what to believe any more. Will it change again to April/May/June???

During recent weeks my date has jumped from April 13th to the 12th, then to the 6th and finally(?) to the April 2nd.

Panic! I’m not ready for this to come so early ( I’ve only been waiting for 20 months!)

We all have individual gifts, mine just happens to be procrastination.

4 Likes

@dan
When will it be ready to be ship to Asia?
I live in Hong Kong.

The estimation for my shipment was changed for a few times, not sooner, but later… from Dec, 17, to Feb, 18…then Mar, 18, and the latest update is July, 18.
I’m feeling that my machine will never get to me this year, and I’m worrying if it will even get to me in 2019. Especially when your latest update gives me a feeling that you are not certain about other international shipments other than EU at the moment.

I’m going back to Canada in June for a family visit, if I request to change the shipment to Canada instead, will I be able to get it faster?

I’m in Canada… Doubtful that you’ll get it sooner at this point (or even have it show up by the time you go visit). My notification date went from April 25th yesterday to June 28 today :cry: .
Apparently my filter is supposed to be ready before the :glowforge: now… (also doubtful imo).

1 Like