Discussion of October 2017 update

They’ve said a few times the money everyone paid is in an escrow account until you say yes to the “do you want your Glowforge email.” So they are earning a little interest. Not much, but still better than nothing.

1 Like

My date is October 26th. I don’t see the shipping counts moving so I too am worried that it will get delayed. Please @dan don’t let me down

1 Like

Dan posted somewhere that they are earning 1% interest. First month pre-orders alone were $27M.

Maybe. But I doubt it. I think they’d rather get you the machine and hope you show your friends cool stuff you made with it.

I doubt they are as confident in the market position they’d need to be to let some customers leave unhappy on purpose. Some will, but it’s not the desired outcome.

2 Likes

I agree they are working hard to get everyone their product. They just underestimated how much work this was going to be. At least they didn’t walk away. They are working hard to get us our forges. I imagine all theses delays give @dan many a sleepless night.

They’ve never said exact percentage. This is the only number they ever gave that I could find.
Edit: apparently they did give an approximate percentage. See @jbmanning5’s post below.

1 Like

I just got my shipment of proofgrade materials today. What is the lag time after those arrive that the Glowforge itself shows up?

Can’t wait to get my pro. My wife is super excited.

It has ranged from 3 days to 10 days (as a median). Some have gotten it the same day others out to 20 days.

We keep the funds in a zero-risk account that pays ~1% interest per year.

1 Like

Proofgrade materials ship out of TN. The GF ships out of CA, so it really depends on where you live. I thought people were saying they were receiving their GFs about 3 weeks after the golden ticket email.

Yes, @jbmanning5 posted that while I was looking it up and trying to figure out how to quote a post from a different thread in here! (Thanks @jbmanning5!)

For reference, Dan stated that on 10/13/17 in Everything Else>Shipping date on glowforge .com/account>post #273

1 Like

I just discovered that my estimated shipping date has moved from December 13 to Dec 27, 2017. Two more weeks of waiting. What is going on?!!?!

1 Like

My ‘start the shipping process’ date slipped from Nov 24 to Dec 5.

Edit: Pro order from Oct 23, 2015.

In contrast, mine went from Nov. 3 to Oct. 31.

I’m guessing that’s reflecting them moving some production from basic to pro.

3 Likes

I’ve got a pro on order, and I went from nov 9 to nov 21.

I upgraded to a Pro 2 weeks ago, and that has finally been updated in the shipping notification calculation this evening, taking me from an end of February date to December 29.
Works for me.

Air filter is projected for June.

3 Likes

At this moment, my Oct. 27th date is holding. Might be different in the morning though.

My date just went out :frowning: I know Dan said the date could go closer or later, but I really wasn’t hoping on later. My date from the October update was March 15th, now it’s March 30th. Figures they had to kick me a little more since I was starting to be O.K. with the March 15th date.

My shipping date (Pro) just moved from January 2018, to TOMORROW, the 25th!

5 Likes

I only assume that cancellations will continue to rise with each delay, so that would naturally move projected delivery dates closer because people are falling out of the queue.

The fact that so many dates (including mine) just lengthened by a few weeks indicates another snag or snafu of some sort… sigh. My “shipping notification” date just moved from Nov 28 to Dec 18 - so definitely no GF for me for the 3rd Christmas in a row. Argh.

Edit: I see some Pros moving up, so perhaps they’ve really shifted to more Pros and fewer Basics, hence the additional delays.