Discussion of October 2017 update

Just curious, where are you getting $60 from

Still if I could give away all of my 20,- / month credits in return for a guaranteed delivery of my GF in 2017 I would do that in a second.

3 Likes

In my first post I mentioned that in my opinion they are going to email out this month saying “shipping!” and then the current 6 week wait for shipping would likely swell to 3 or more months due to the slow manufacturing. That is where I got the $60. Just a pessimistic view of what I “think” will happen.

It looks like the preorder campaign was 32 days long, so you weren’t technically last minute. :wink:

2 Likes

Once again the $20 is from the December 2016 delay, and started counting from either January 2017 or April 2017. So the two counts people can receive if they haven’t received that the email is $180 or $120. The only thing the email has to do with anything is ending the count of the $20 per month. If you ordered during the initial campaign, your count is $180, if you ordered after it’s $120. It doesn’t start counting after you receive the golden email, but ends the count.

1 Like

Yes, but that means if they decide to expand the 6 weeks to say: get ready to receive your Glowforge, it could take 12 weeks (instead of 6) and it actually does, then under some other set of rules for a free gift (which, of course, the giver gets to decide), the gift could be 2 months more or any other arbitrary number I want to put out there.

It’s just a longer way to say, Glowforge could have decided to give me a $240 gift certificate, but gave me a $180 one instead because they changed a number on the “golden” one.

I don’t think they’ll do it that way though because expanding the six weeks also increases the likelihood of other problems (moving, manufacturing delays, etc) and once you agree to that golden email, no refunds, so it’s a real “order” at that point and federal and state rules on those things come into play.

1 Like

I was more concerned with his thinking receiving the email started the clock on the $20, which it does not, but ends the clock.

I want to believe, I haven’t seen anything to the contrary, that once we receive the email it will remain the 6 week delivery time.

1 Like

I never thought it started the clock on anything. I was concerned that it stopped the clock on the $20, then the “clock” on actual shipping date could be indiscriminately increased.

Ah, so you’re just thinking up speculations, gotcha.

1 Like

Did you miss in almost every single one of my posts this little tidbit?

Absolutely everything I said was “speculation”. But household computers were “speculation” at one point. Some thoughts come true, some don’t. I personally see this one coming true. You may not. That’s perfectly fine. Honestly I hope you are the correct one.

2 Likes

Guess, so. I was trying to help you because I thought you had it wrong, didn’t know you were just painting End of The World Signs. My mistake.

1 Like

So you don’t think it’s a valid question? Just an “End of the World Nut Job” speculation?

If I get the email saying “Shipping!” and then the actual shipping date is 3 months later for who knows what reason will that be considered a “Delivery Date Delay” in Dan’s words?

I think that is a perfectly valid question and a perfectly plausible scenario to worry about (given the two years of delays thus far). Something was promised. I’m vague on the details of that promise. I think up scenarios so that I can become clearer on the terms of the promise.

You can’t avoid the end of the world by ignoring the steps leading you to the end of the world.

2 Likes

No, I don’t believe its valid because nothing is based on facts, just speculation. We could play the What If game all day, which is all your doing.

1 Like

So you don’t have car insurance? Because “What if I get into an accident?” is just speculation and end of the world planning.

If you want to come back to me with “But statistically this many accidents happen per day and I’m likely to be one of them at some point”. I will reply with “But statistically, Glowforge has been delayed for 2 years even though every 3 to 6 months has been a ‘Promised’ shipping date, so odds are there will be another given the information we currently have available”.

The only way to plan for the future is to speculate on what could happen in the future and then hope for the best case and plan for the worst case. I brought up a worst case (really a best case of the possible worst cases) and asked a valid question in reference to vague-eties in the information I have.

1 Like

@dan. I am still excited.

9 Likes

But the Crux of your Supposition is not the shipment delay but that Glowforge will delay delivery after sending the shipment email just so they don’t have to pay you $60. That delivery delay has not happened with all the previous deliveries that they have executed. Sorry, but there is no basis for this except your wild imaginings.

4 Likes

Has anyone gotten their email yet that was discussed in the update?

Also, what are the odds I’ll be able to make Christmas presents with my glowforge having placed the order on Oct. 23rd, 2015?

People have reported getting emails saying their GF will ship in October, which is no change. Nobody has reported getting one with a later date yet. Somebody reported an air filter date in April 18.

1 Like

I ordered on the 19th (Day 26 of preorder campaign) My email last night said I would receive the golden ticket email before the end of this month and expect shipment less than 6 weeks. So if all goes well, I should have my pro by Dec. 12th.

The air filter would arrive in mid-April.

4 Likes

I’ve had no email, and it has been 7 days since they told us it would be a week. Maybe I’m just being unreasonable, I mean we’ve had to wait longer than they said for everything else :frowning:

1 Like