Discussion of October 2017 update

We’ll forecast when we’re ready to start the shipping process - that is, the email saying “are you ready” - not the delivery date. The actual delivery date varies based on things we can’t forecast, like your shipping address (which we don’t have until you reply to that email).

2 Likes

Well given that UPS is charging $249 extra for oversized domestic shipments between November 19th - December 23rd, I hope they’re not going to get worse

2 Likes

There might be a pause… :smile:

No.

Unfortunately the logistics of such an event wind up being prohibitive.

2 Likes

Daaaaang. But hey, it doesn’t say the package will receive special handling!

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

are they new stories or are they from the books?

1 Like

Dirk Gently is on Hulu. Don’t know about other services.

3 Likes

I am so excited for the second season. The first season was so much better than I was expecting. A very worthy followup to the books. (Actually, quite possibly better than the books!)

Dirk Gently: New season starts BBC America October 14th.

4 Likes

Blasphemy! I’ve been scared to watch the show because I loved the books so much.

3 Likes

Watch it. It’s really good. They came up with so many great new characters, and their version of Dirk is pretty good too.

1 Like

I think it’s HULU for the US, and Netflix for international.
and available to buy/rent on iTunes, Amazon, XBox and GooglePlay.

2 Likes

I took a loan to buy my glowforge, and while I’ve paid it off, I’ve also watched my referral credits dwindle not because of anything I did, but because of the inability of Glowforge to make the promised product in the promised time, followed by deliveries showing up looking like an elephant kicked them.

I’m mostly frustrated because the longer this goes on, the worse the deal gets.
I was supposed to be using this to build my small business. Now it’s $500 more expensive than expected, despite me working hours to convince people to also buy into it, (NO reward for selling the product for Glowforge if you can’t keep them on the hook for two years plus, or find additional rubes… heck. I can’t even get MY unit)
And it may show up someday… still.
And when it does, who knows if it’ll work or need to be sent back.

And if I don’t like it, Glowforge values my business such that they’ll be happy to give me my initial investment back (sans 2 years interest earned on it of course) and kick me to the curb. Keeping my five referrals who are still holding on, of course, with no referral “bonus” for them.

Sounds like a GREAT deal for Glowforge.

I still want the machine bc I still have a garage full of stuff to engrave with it. Hopefully sometime in 2018… or 2019… or maybe when my kid leaves middle school. But I am NOT pleased with the way the pre-sale was handled, and I sincerely hope this isn’t the business model we’ll see once it’s handled.

If I or most business owners treated OUR customers like this… well… we just… couldn’t. It feels very terrible to feel like really the only option is to shell out MORE money for a different laser or just accept being treated like this.

6 Likes

I also don’t really need another promise email… I really don’t.
I don’t and won’t believe you guys at this point. Send me my forge. Don’t “promise when” just to break that promise. Just send it or don’t. Send me emails saying “Still not out of business” and that’s about it. Then send me an email saying “YES IT IS ON THE WAY.” Let it arrive. Let me get back some of the wonder and excitement that I had when I was a much younger woman and ordered it. Right now the “Great News Everyone!” updates with smiling, irreverent Dan just sound grating and like you think I’m dumb enough to believe you again. :frowning:

7 Likes

I wonder if holiday shipping may actually be better as a great many trucks gain helpers so there are actually two people to deliver the two person box…just a thought.

8 Likes

It’s not malice. It’s marketing with a little manipulation thrown in.

1 Like

Can you PM me the alternative?

We need a laser cutter for our foundry.

Thank you

While they did not know the time, it would appear that @dan did talk about setting up interest in a product before any development is done. from Dan Shapiro – CEO of Glowforge, creator of Robot Turtles, proud dad on March 29, 2014.
"I’m told Amazon writes the press release for a product before beginning development.

I don’t know exactly how the process works, but this has been sloshing around in my head mixed in with a bunch of other tidbits. Like the trick of running ads that lead to a signup page before you build anything to see how many people are interested. Or the notion that a crowdfunding campaign validates demand before you go build it (although it requires a lot more investment)."

later in that blog it states
"I haven’t really done this before – when I figure out what I’m doing next I plan to give it a try. ".

3 Likes

IBM probably didn’t invent this, but they get a lot of credit for it.