Discussion of October 2019 Update

I have received the upgrade and love the faster speed for engraving.
Thank You Glowforge team.

3 Likes

Sometimes if a stepper is being pushed just a bit too fast it can stall. So a stepper motor gets very rapidly pulsed electromagnetic “steps” sent to it from a controller. Kind of like being pulled along by a rope tow on a ski hill. If you can hang onto the rope and you are free to move you will move at the same rate as the rope tow. If the stick to the snow is stronger than your grip you will drop back to the next handle or knot in the rope. Same with a stepper. Does every thing move freely? Maybe the higher speed of the upgrade is just too agressive for your machine.
Do you hear a sqealing noise at all when the unit skips? That could be the head stalling momentarily. If the head stalls, now the contrller has lost track of where the head is - afterall, the controller sent out x number of pulses but the head could not move fast enough.
This problem can persent in much the same way as a belt jumping a tooth. It is a similar problem, only the tooth that jumped is magnetic, not mechanical…

2 Likes

I’m liking 1200 speed 100 power for solid cherry wood.

Lid for my daughter’s jewelry box for her 5th birthday.

20 Likes

Just wanted to drop and and let folks know that everyone should have the higher top speeds now - enjoy!

25 Likes

Thanks @dan! :grinning:

1 Like

Any news on the vector engraving bug that causes a shift mid-design (like this) if the speed is set to over 1000? At least a few people get bitten by it every day in the Facebook Glowforge discussion groups.

sorry for digging up an old thread, but I think you just saved me from going deaf with the constant glowforge fan noise.

Just so I understand, I can add an line tube fan (I have one that says 2500rpm, will need to look up cfm) to the middle of my exhaust duct and turn on “compact filter attached”?

edit: did a few engraves without the loud fan and my life is changed forever :open_mouth:

2 Likes

I am still waiting on the update. Has the update been sent out to all machines? I have been waiting patiently since October, but have not received the update yet. I usually turn off and unplug my glowforge at night, just to protect it from any power surges, but it is plugged in and on all day. I am just excited about the update and keep hearing everyone talking about how much faster it is and really looking forward to the update. Thank you!

Dan has previously stated that the update was 100% rolled out.

I would maybe try a couple of things:

Reboot the Glowforge and just let it hang out for a while with the lid open (I believe this has a firmware update that pushes?)

Two, if that doesn’t help, open up a ticket via email or by posting in #problems-and-support (just one method, not both) and they can check out why it hasn’t been delivered to your machine yet.

3 Likes

How can you tell you haven’t received it? Just curious.

I will try those two things today. Thank you for your help!

None of the settings have changed and speed has not increased at all.

Have you tried to adjust the maximum speed on a custom setting? If you have and it doesn’t look like you have the update, you should email support about it.

the update is awesome only a couple things i noticed that could use attention.
1# the timer is not working anymore from another computer when we look to see how long the current user has left. It says 00:00 instead of 2:31 sec left.or what ever the time left is.
2# the auto height doesn’t seem to work anymore. You use to type auto or a into the depth slot when adjusting the setting but now it will not do auto on Manuel settings anymore

1 Like

For #1, try clicking the “print” button in the new browser; I think it will update the time for you.

For #2, auto height is the default, if I understand what you’re referring to. You only enter something there if you want it to focus above (or below, for whatever reason) the height of the material.

2 Likes

Correct. But it doesn’t do it for me when I try that for some reason. Idk it did before the Beta update. But I would rather have the new settings an the small issues then not have them. Ty for the info it is appropriated

But can you disclose how you KNOW you have the update? I’m fairly certain I don’t. I’m doing a cut on some ply I’ve done many times before and the max speed shows 500 as always.

it’s been rolled out to everyone. if you’ve turned your machine on and made a cut, it’s been rolled out to you. the GF servers would update your machine before they let you actually cut a file.

Open up a raster image for engraving…then look at the Proofgrade Engrave speeds. They should be higher than 1000. (The Update only impacted Engraves. The cut speeds stayed the same.) :slightly_smiling_face:

Max speed for cuts has not changed, it is still 500.

1 Like