Discussion of September Announcement

I’m sure I have missed this somewhere but is there currently a process to submit designs? My search-fu has been lacking.

Not quite yet…(which is why I qualified that with “one day”.) :smile:
Hopefully soon.

2 Likes

Thanks. I noticed some designs that are from the community already - unless they are GF employee community members. :wink:

1 Like

I believe those are the test files for it, but have no idea how many details they have to finish hammering out. (They always do a trial run up front to work out the kinks with some of the Regulars, and they had requested some submissions a few months ago. They haven’t set up the royalty system yet, those were a one time purchase.) :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Some thing my wife and I noticed after the recent “updates” is that our engrave times have jumped a pretty considerable amount. Where a job used to take 5 minutes, it now takes 20-30 minutes for the exact same engraving. Updating features is great and increased processing speeds are fantastic, but why the sudden decrease in actual speed of process? We even tried double and triple checking to see if the settings had changed in our saved engraving. Nothing was different and yet our engraving speed times have great increased??? What could be causing this? I even thought the laser head was dirty so I cleaned everything. Can someone explain why this might be happening? Thanks in advance! Also we have a pro model.

The SD engrave settings for vector engraves have been upgraded (see announcement below). They are quite a bit slower, so if you’re not interested in the improvement in quality (it’s slight, but I like it), you can use the old settings (1000/full, IIRC) instead.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

As stated above, the premium update increased the processing time but is unrelated to engrave times. A separate, unrelated event was the modification of the SD engrave settings for Proofgrade materials. I believe the speed for SD engraves changed from 1000 to 525 or 535 with a suitable reduction of power. The slower engrave speed accounts for the increased times you are seeing. If you like how your projects looked before this change, simply input the 1000/full settings manually and carry on.

1 Like

We have rarely ever used the standard settings for any of our projects. We almost always use custom settings to get the look we are going for. ( our business logo) so even at 1000 speed and full power, we still get the increased times. Which is odd if I do say so myself. Like I said before these are even on the exact same print er engraving we had done previously. Strange to say the least.

the speed is the speed, that hasn’t changed. have you checked the rest of your settings? that sounds like your LPI is significantly higher.

2 Likes

There has been no change in machine speed. As stated, speed is speed. If the same file is printing slower, your settings have been changed.

The Premium “upgrade” simply processes the file faster before you hit the button. A single straight line takes several seconds to “process”, a complex engrave/cut (think an ornament) takes 15-30 seconds. The “upgrade” might knock a second or two off those times. It has no impact on the time to actually print.

3 Likes

Have you rotated your artwork to fit it into the space, by any chance? That can significantly change your engrave time.

2 Likes

Yeah - that claim that glowforge had purchased’supercomputers’ now is imho the most cringe worthy statement I have ever seen on this forum.

Really? So terribly sorry. Guess you’ll just have to find another place where everyone is going to tell you what you want to hear and agree with you, so you can feel nice and secure in your group think.

Because I won’t stop giving my opinions here. :smile:

15 Likes

What??? Where did you see that? They lease Google Cloud servers…they’ve never said anything about purchasing supercomputers.

12 Likes

couldn’t ever get snapmarks to work on my machine, because the installed camera is so terrible.

hopefully this will get fixed when I send it in for service.

unfortunately, service is replace with a refurb, that isn’t guaranteed to be as clean as the one I have… I like my glowforge, but the frustrations are adding up.

The refurbs are cleaned and checked over before they are sent out, but it is possible to get one that might still have an issue. (So yeah, it’s a good idea to check it over.)

Hopefully your refurb will be able to use the Snapmarks. (If your old machine had a camera issue, it might work out for the best overall. Hope so for your sake.)

2 Likes

wow, what happened when you ran the camera calibration job? did it just go haywire?

1 Like

I don’t recall the results of the camera test, but the image was so blurry it was, for all practical purposes, unusable… it’s loaned out to a friend and will ship directly back from there…I look forward to having a system with a clean image that can make good use of snapmarks.

I’m also hoping that cut consistency across the cutting field is better. in my unit, cutting proofgrade, if I cut 1" circles across the field, some percentage wouldn’t cut all the way through. After cleaning, and mirror and lens replacement, I could never resolve it.

Well crap… I missed the signup by 6 days… My life got turned upside down with a loved on being diagnosed with stage 3 cancer and completely forgot to go upgrade… Will this discount be available at another time? I don’t think I can swing the $50 a month right now

1 Like

I’m so very sorry! The discount is probably the least of your worries right now.
(They might offer another discount later, or they might not…I don’t know. But it wouldn’t hurt to shoot them an email at support@glowforge.com, explain the situation, tell them that you would like to still sign up for the Premium service, and ask if they can do anything to help.)

They might not be able to, but you haven’t lost anything by asking. (And good luck to your loved one.)

4 Likes