Discussion of the April '17 update

Very excited to see the passthrough cut! The excitement is building. :smiley:

5 Likes

Pitchforks!
Wait, nope, this is all great.
Fabulous.
Fantastic!
I am so excited to see more prerelease units. They are getting out in greater numbers and I love seeing what people are making.
I love different styles. I love processes and how people are getting their results, both expected and surprising.
I am glad to be along for the ride. Itā€™s exciting.

14 Likes

This update was so great that now Iā€™m just wondering when!?!?!

Pre-release users are getting all the fun! I want to find a problem too! :grin:

EDITED FOR TYPO

15 Likes

Great update, thanks! I have much appreciation for the QCā€¦

@dan Sound has been flagged as a potential problem with pre-release units. That high pitch sound might come from an intake that is too small perhaps(?)
Questions:

Q1. Is the GF with filter significantly quieter than the ones without?

Q2. [quote=ā€œdan, post:1, topic:6905ā€]
The rear picture does not show the exhaust input on the far right
[/quote]
I am confused. The filter was initially sold as not needing an exhaust. Some of us asked / suggested if the filter could also have an exhaust linked to it some time back and I think the answer was ā€˜noā€™ at that point (not sure here - perhaps it was one of those cloudy uncertain ones but it was not a ā€˜yesā€™). Whatā€™s the latest with this? Can we vent from the filter now as a backup?

Q3: [quote=ā€œdan, post:34, topic:6904ā€]
I think 40" or so?
[/quote] The passthrough width should be about half thatā€¦? Please clarify.

Loved this update! Thanks for all the Hard Work! Go Team :glowforge: Glowforge!

2 Likes

The right back of the filter exhaust inlet will match up to the right back of the Glowforge exhaust outlet through an elbow connector. At least thatā€™s my understanding.

4 Likes

No bad news is GREAT news - and new good news is even better! :squeee:

3 Likes

Iā€™m curious on how long that non-stop glowforge has been running (and who keeps feeding it substrate?) :grinning:

4 Likes

Yeah that puppy is hot boxing itself in there, it definitely has the munchies!

6 Likes

40" is the length of the ā€œpassthroughā€ sign I assume, not width

3 Likes

The ā€˜lengthā€™ is infiniteā€¦ I am relating the dimensions to the material orientation.

@marmak3261 already got to this, but in case thereā€™s any lingering confusion, the ā€œexhaust inletā€ is the opening where the Glowforgeā€™s exhaust gets piped into the filter. Itā€™s the Glowforge equivalent of a USB B port on the back of an ordinary printer.

I Assume this is for the filtered gases, not as a backup (they gotta go somewhere, right?).

1 Like

All looking great. Even the filter looks fantastic!
I might not even hook it up, just leave it on the mantle as an objet dā€™art.:grinning:

3 Likes

Fair assumption - I did too. Until Dan told us that you canā€™t have both - basically, if you get the filter, you canā€™t vent from the unit since the filter vents into the room. Hence my earlier question.

Yes, but even after filtering the gas has to vent out of the filter somehow.
Or am I just a bit more confused than usual?

Iā€™d say so - but I donā€™t have numbers.

ā€œExhaust inputā€ meaning the point at which the exhaust from the Glowforge is input into the filter. Sorry that was unclear.

The passthrough is 20" wide. The sign was 40" long.

It does stop, it just runs a lot. :slight_smile: Thereā€™s a contractor who keeps it going. I donā€™t know how long itā€™s been going.

The clean air comes out the right side - you can see where in the first picture.

9 Likes

@dan, thanks for the response. Are there still ā€˜many openingsā€™ for the filtered air to be vented back into the room? Or one? Where does that stand right now?

1 Like

One big opening on the right.

4 Likes

So conceivably, if someone wanted to vent the filterā€™s discharge out the window, they could construct a rectangular-ish adapter and attach it to the right side of the filter. It would probably need a small additional fan to compensate for the additional duct resistance.

Sounds like an idea for a small business (in addition to a hard-surface dust cover with a fabric skirt, to provide additional work surface when the Forge isnā€™t being used).

5 Likes