Discussion of the April '17 update

Why not feed the output back into the air intakes of the GlowForge. I.e. just recirculate it instead of pumping it into the room.

2 Likes

Is this something we will be able to buy in the catalog?

1 Like

Unless the filter isnā€™t working why bother? If itā€™s working there shouldnā€™t be any particulate or obnoxious smells in the exhaust air. The exhaust isnā€™t noticeably warmer now than ambient so itā€™s not like youā€™re putting warm/hot air back into the room. The whole point of the filter is to not need to exhaust it outside. If I want to do that, Iā€™d just swap out the elbow air connector to the filter for the connector to the window/wall exhaust.

2 Likes

Heat build up? Donā€™t think the filter cools the exhaust.

3 Likes

Oh yes that might be a flaw in the plan.

Thanks for the update Dan. Nice to see the details on how this is all coming together. Also very pleased at the extensive amount of stress testing that is going into this. I doubt that Iā€™ll be an Extreme user, in terms of volume or chalanging work environment for the 'forge, but itā€™s great to know that it wonā€™t be eggshell fragile (like a certain dishwasher that I just replacedā€¦)
Thanks also for the pictures, and I think they look just fine. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was responding to those who had worries about just how effective the HEPA filter might be in reality. Or for those who wanted to vent the fumes, but didnā€™t want to disturb their neighbors. Personally, Iā€™m not getting a filter because I have an effective exhaust system in place already.

Hmmā€¦ nothing to get outraged about, that wonā€™t go over well with some!

Guess theyā€™ll have to try and smile, itā€™ll go something like this: :neutral_face::expressionless::unamused::confused::slight_smile::unamused:

Thanks for the update

18 Likes

Is the beta Proofgrade site officially open? and if so can you please post a link?

I canā€™t wait to start shopping!

Thanks for the great update @dan! I really appreciate the pictures and the great news on progress!

Can you comment on the GFā€™s readiness to ship abroad (or up North)? All the pre-releases have all gone to US customers. I understand itā€™s cheaper on shipping, but it raises some concerns.

I know the majority of your customers are in the US. If I were in your shoes, I would be spending as much energy as possible focused on getting the most GFs to that majority of customer. But that would mean not spending as much energy on things that would get it in the minorityā€™s hands as well. Things like doing the certifications that are needed to import it into other countries. I would address those things once the majority are lined up to get their GFs.

Iā€™m not saying thatā€™s what you are doing, but thatā€™s likely what I would do if I were in your position (maybe thatā€™s why Iā€™m not the CEO of a major company).

Given that I think that way, and that I am in the minority of abroad users, it makes me worried.

Can you comment at all on whatā€™s happening certification-wise? If you canā€™t, I understand. Iā€™ll just live with my worries.

Note that having a pre-release be delivered to an international customer would ease a lot of my worries (and probably other international customers as well). Nudge-nudge-hint-hint.

Thanks.

7 Likes

Somehow I picture this at GFHQ:

20 Likes

Any chance of a closeup of that passthrough sign?

5 Likes

I see you like to kick the hornetā€™s nest. :dizzy_face:

4 Likes

just a shout out to Danā€™s daughter - great work! and to his whole family: we customers have taken a lot of his time, so your sacrifice is appreciated.

5 Likes

Any idea when the Materials Shop will open for general (non-pre-release) use? Yes, Iā€™m eager to start buying materials. :grinning:

5 Likes

As an engineer myself, I would LOVE to see the test setup! Maybe after August? :wink:

Add it to the catalog please! I want one!!!

P.S. It looks like a simple enough designā€¦ I might just have to design one for myself! Creative juices are always flowing with a Glowforge in the house! :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m with you there. I get into a lot of testing groups at work, because I tend to be very good at breaking stuff through attempted use. Iā€™m the reason why we canā€™t have nice things, except I help make them nicer because problems get fixed.

2 Likes

Sounds like that contractor has a dream job. Iā€™d actually set an alarm just to keep the sucker going round the clock.

1 Like

The air cools the electronics, which warm the room about as much as a desktop computer - that is, very little. But if the air was recirculated, eventually the electronics would overheat.

7 Likes